Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers, Magical Urban Fantasy ARC Tour Read

Title: Grave Mercy
Author: Robin LaFevers
Series: Book One in His Fair Assassin Series
Published By: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (April 3, 2012)
Source: ARC Copy From ARC Tour w/Magical Urban Fantasy
Pages: 560
Genre: YA Paranormal
My Rating: 4 Stars


Goodreads Description:
Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae's most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

My Review:
I have to hand it to LaFevers, she really came up with a great new, fun and somewhat unique concept in the world of YA.

Not only do we get a kick butt heroine who knows how to take someone down with a crossbow and doesn't take crap from anyone but she is also a daughter of the God of Death himself and is on a mission to do his work.

Oh and did I mention that this book is set in the15th century and involves not only a conspiracy to take over the throne, death, destruction, deceit, adventure and a romance, but also a convent full of nuns who are training to become handmaiden for the God of Death himself?

No? Silly me.

This book has a little of it all. It combines the paranormal and adventure with the historical fiction that I crave.

I absolutely loved this book.

And I will admit that it started out a little slow, there was a lot of world building that needed to take place, but I endured and I am so glad I did. This is a book that you won't want to miss and you won't want to put down.

LaFevers manages to take death and the art (yes I said art) of killing and not only personify it but also make it a thing of beauty.

This book isn't just about conspiracies and assassins but it is also about one young woman's journey into self discovery as she figures out who she is, what is required of her and what she wants for her future.

LaFevers manages to weave a tale that is not only something you can imagine but something that you want to be a part of.

I don't however think this is a book for everyone, there is a lot of history here and like I said, it was a little slow to start but I think if you love the paranormal, love historical fiction and all that involves this will definitely be a book for you.

I really look forward to reading the next installment.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like I should pick this up for my historical fiction challenge. Thanks for a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really should. It was a great read but you definitely have to like reading about the era to really enjoy it I think.

    ReplyDelete