Friday, January 6, 2012

Review: The Vanishing Game by Kate Kae Myers

Title: The Vanishing Game
Author: Kate Kae Myers
Series: Stand Alone
Source: ARC Copy Net Galley
Published By: Bloomsbury USA Children's (Feb. 14, 2012)
Genre: YA Paranormal Suspense
My Rating: 4 Stars

Goodreads Description:
 Jocelyn's twin brother Jack was the only family she had growing up in a world of foster homes-and now he's dead, and she has nothing. Then she gets a cryptic letter from "Jason December"-the code name her brother used to use when they were children at Seale House, a terrifying foster home that they believed had dark powers. Only one other person knows about Jason December: Noah, Jocelyn's childhood crush and their only real friend among the troubled children at Seale House.

But when Jocelyn returns to Seale House and the city where she last saw Noah, she gets more than she bargained for. Turns out the house's powers weren't just a figment of a childish imagination. And someone is following Jocelyn. Is Jack still alive? And if he is, what kind of trouble is he in? The answer is revealed in a shocking twist that turns this story on its head and will send readers straight back to page 1 to read the book in a whole new light.


My Review:

To be honest I really wasn't expecting this story to be creepy but yet as I was reading the first few chapters I couldn't help but be thankful that I had started reading it in the middle of the day when it was still light out and the shadows in the room couldn't reek havoc with my imagination.

I wasn't really sure what was going throughout this book. I will admit that the author had me stumped.
Was the house haunted? Were their demons? Ghosts? Was Jocelyn doing it? Cole? Someone else?
What in the world was with Seale House?

Like I said, I didn't see most of it coming. I will however say this was a pretty good psychological thriller of sorts. I loved all the mystery and clues and yes, even the mysterious happenings that didn't quite all come together until the very end.

Truly, this read was brilliant. The author is brilliant.

I think anyone that enjoys a good creepy mystery read will absolutely adore this book. 



This book also happens to fulfill two books from my Ghostly Challenge and Stand Alone challenge!


2 comments:

  1. ooh this looks spooky and intriguing! Thanks for the great review of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am heading over to request now. Can't pass up a good ghostly mystery and fufill a challenge looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete