Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Review: Killing Sarai by J.A. Redmerski

Title: Killing Sarai
Author: J.A. Redmerski
Series: Book One in the Company of Killers Series
Published: June 18, 2013
Source: Purchased
Genre: New Adult Thriller
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
Sarai was only fourteen when her mother uprooted her to live in Mexico with a notorious drug lord. Over time she forgot what it was like to live a normal life, but she never let go of her hope to escape the compound where she has been held for the past nine years.

Victor is a cold-blooded assassin who, like Sarai, has known only death and violence since he was a young boy. When Victor arrives at the compound to collect details and payment for a hit, Sarai sees him as her only opportunity for escape. But things don’t go as planned and instead of finding transport back to Tucson, she finds herself free from one dangerous man and caught in the clutches of another.

While on the run, Victor strays from his primal nature as he succumbs to his conscience and resolves to help Sarai. As they grow closer, he finds himself willing to risk everything to keep her alive; even his relationship with his devoted brother and liaison, Niklas, who now like everyone else wants Sarai dead.

As Victor and Sarai slowly build a trust, the differences between them seem to lessen, and an unlikely attraction intensifies. But Victor’s brutal skills and experience may not be enough in the end to save her, as the power she unknowingly holds over him may ultimately be what gets her killed.

This is their story…










 So Christy at Christy's Love of Books and I decided since we are both horrible at adding to each other's TBR pile (like truly, we are BOTH evil) each month we would make the other read one of those books. Yes I said make, because how else are we ever going to choose and ever actually get to read them? What better way than having someone demand you read it, right? :P

It has taken me a couple of days to be able to compose this review, to be able to gather my thoughts and feelings and truly understand them.

I am not even sure, now, days later, if I will be able to convey all that I felt while reading this.

This is a read that takes you by surprise with the depth of it. The emotion inside that runs deep within the pages and within the very story itself. 

We are placed in a world that is harsh and rough. Dangerous and brutal and very much a part of the real world today. Into situations that are questionable and horrible and unthinkable. Into places that no one should ever read about, let along experience. A place Sarai grew up and was held captive in for 9 very long years.

This isn't your typical story. There are no happily ever afters and the moments that take your breath away? Those are not because of huge grand romantic gestures but instead because of the horrors that surround you. The thoughts that we try not to imagine that must have happened to her, must have occurred on a daily basis, those are the moments that take your breath away and make your heart pound, get your blood boiling and leave you breathless.

This was an extraordinary read that was both raw and beautiful. 

It won't be what you expect, instead it will be so much more. So much more feeling and depth. It will make you cringe and it will make you think. It has moments that will make you smile but those are few and far in between but come just when you need them too to give you relief and make you go on.

This has just enough hint of a romance that will leave you turning the pages wanting more and the best part is, it isn't your typical romance, not at all.

In short, just read this one, you won't be disappointed and you will get one heck of  a ride along the way.

I am so glad Christy made me pick this one up. I don't regret it at all and will definitely be continuing on with the series.







*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

52 comments:

  1. Ughhh, you're making me salivate for this book, seriously. I know Amir @ Not-So-Literary Heiresses and Ella @ The Filipina Booknote loved it. Jules @ Jules' Bookshelf praised it to the high heavens too and now I'm seriously wanting to read it. It sounds so dark and complex, and who doesn't love those? I want a book to make me think, I want a book to make me scared and thrilled and 100% empathize with the characters. This sounds like one of those gritty and raw ones that you just have to read for yourself to see its brilliance.

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I do love light and fun reads, sometimes I need a heavy and dark read that plays with my emotions and leaves me thinking about it for days after. This sounds like it would be perfect for that purpose. Brilliant review as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like this one then Dea, definitely not a light read. ;)

      Delete
  3. Wow--it took you two days to compose your thoughts to write a review...now THAT's an emotional read. Sounds like a must-read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep and I still thought about it long after too. ;)

      Delete
  4. Ahh! I'm so glad you liked this one! :) I loved it as much as you did and I was honestly so surprised by my reaction to it because of the content and this is not a genre I typically turn to, but it blew me away!
    That's awesome that you and Christy are pushing books on each other! I'm curious to see what you think of book 2! :)
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nick! It will be fun to pick books each month and make each of us go out of our comfort zone a little here and there. ;)

      Delete
  5. This is on my list Ali! Christy had already convinced me I needed to read this before I came across your review today, but your thoughts have me wanting to abandon my review schedule for the week and move this to the top of the list. I cannot wait to experience this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a bad influence. :P

      No really, do it. You won't regret it. It is just something you have to experience for yourself to understand.

      Delete
  6. It sounds exhausting and exciting all at once. Who'd want to miss such a ride. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a way of adding things on my tbr as well. I've never read anything by Redmerski, but I keep hearing fabulous things and now I have to add this. Which means you did it again. I'm actually glad it's not all about the romance. The story sounds very unusual and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually have this on my kindle (and the 3rd book) but have not read it yet! My co-blogger Ella did though and she absolutely loved it and seriously, every review I see of this book is positive and now, I'm adding yours in the mix. I really need to read this soon, I know I'm missing out on a lot of awesome by not starting with this series yet. Lovely review Kindlemom! Can't wait to finally discover Sarai and Victor's story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited you already have these, definitely read them!

      Delete
  9. Wow Kindlemom, the premise would not make me pick this up but your review will.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear that Debbie, trust me, I understand completely because I felt the same way!

      Delete
  10. Wow. A drug lord book with teens caught in the middle. Sound great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is good. I hope you give it a try!

      Delete
  11. I have seen so many people love this one, including Glass to whom I promised I'd read this one. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it and raw and beautiful sounds like my thing. Great review, Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen so many people who've loved this one. I'm kind of scared to read it, but I really want to at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be scared, it really isn't that bad. There is one questionable scene but it is over before it really begins.

      Delete
  13. I am going to have to have you and Christy crack the whip over my head so I can read some of the books I have like SIns and Needles. I think I would like this one, but on the other hand I cant' do raw and real right now, still too sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand but I am sure we could all make you read this one when you are ready Heidi or if not then another one in your TBR pile for sure. ;)

      Delete
  14. Seems too dark for me. And I do want happy moments when this seems like not having the ones I love. Nonetheless, that is a great honest review.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is dark but in a good way if that makes any sense whatsoever.

      Delete
  15. Wheeeeeee!! I'm so freaking happy that you loved it. I need you to hurry and get to the 3rd book. I want Fredrik so bad. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Been planning to read this back to back with the next one but I can't find the time! I just printed my August calendar and it looks like another no-go. Waaah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it too bad, hopefully you can get to it the next month then.

      Delete
  17. Love read alongs! And Christy is such a treasure cove of books I shouldn't read but have not choice but to (she writes the most convincing reviews!).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seriously . . . TOP of my contemporary TBR pile. I really want to read this and SOON. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing what sounds like a truly awesome tale. Here's mine: “YOU”


    ReplyDelete
  20. You had me at: "This was an extraordinary read that was both raw and beautiful." I haven't read anything by J.A. Redmerski, but oh-man, this sounds intense and wonderful. Beautiful review, Ali. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yes, Christy is bad on the TBR, lol. I think I might have added this to my list because of her but your review cements it, I'll definitely have to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woo, books that surprise you and make you feel ALL THE THINGS are my favorite! I've heard such good things about this author but haven't had the chance to try her yet--this one seems like a great place to start. Thanks for the awesome review!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is a great place to start with her work. :)

      Delete
  23. Between you and Christy, I have absolutely no excuse any longer for not reading this - it sounds amazing! Definitely adding it to my TBR pile asap!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sounds very interesting and kind of dark. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my, now you have me wanting to read this. I think I may even have it on my Kindle. Great review!

    ReplyDelete