Saturday, July 26, 2014

Review: Renegade by Cambria Herbert

Title: Renegade
Author: Cambria Hebert
Series: Book Four in the Heven and Hell Series
Published: April 15, 2013
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
The conclusion to the Heven and Hell series.

I’ve been beautiful. I’ve been ugly. I’ve died. I’ve been brought back. I’ve had abilities awakened within me. My strength has been tested. My beliefs have been tested.

Yet I stand. 

What’s next when you’ve pretty much experienced it all? 

The end. 

Sam and I are picking up the pieces. We’re trying to come to terms with all we’ve lost. And as much as I would like to hide my head, ignore the reality I live every day, there is no forgetting. 

Riley is in hell—I’m still not sure of his agenda. My mother’s past haunts me. And Kimber… Kimber is being herself. Cole sneaks glances at Gemma and she returns them when she thinks I don’t see. 

But I do. 

When Beelzebub escapes he brings his war to places I never thought he would. Earth. Maine. Home. Now everyone and everything is at risk. This has become bigger than my circle of friends. This has become bigger than me. I have to finish this. I have to find a way to stop him, to finish this war. 

I just pray we will all be left standing in the end.











Oh how I have missed Sam and Heven. Truly I have come to think of them as friends. I care about them, their happiness, the outcome for them both and it is so hard saying goodbye to them after feeling like they have become a part of me, which is why, I am ashamed to admit, it has taken me so very long to pick up this last book. 

Their last book. 

How will I ever be able to say goodbye? 

I kept thinking if I put it off long enough I wouldn't have to admit that it was almost all over. But then I realized that was just silly. I was only torturing myself because I really needed to know how it all ended and I was hoping and praying that it would end well. What if they didn't end up together? What if more people died?  I didn't want to have to hate Cambria, after all I love Heven and Sam almost as much as I have come to love and appreciate Cambria. I didn't want our friendship to be ruined. Okay, maybe that was a little dramatic because, come one, I would still love Cambria no matter what, but it wouldn’t stop me from being mad at her for a little while if Sam and Heven didn't get their happily ever after. I really didn't want to be mad at Cambria, not even a little bit.

I am so sorry I even doubted you for a minute Cambria. I know how much you love Heven and Sam too and I should have known you wanted them to be happy, even if that journey was a really rough and bumpy one to get there. 

I really have enjoyed the journey with them. To see Heven grow as much as she has, to become a strong and independent person, one willing and able to stand up for herself and those she loves. She is no longer a shy and meek girl restrained by her appearance and weaknesses. I love how kick butt she became over the course of the series. 

In fact, each character, Sam, Riley, Kimber, Gemma, Cole, Heven, they have all grown in some way and I think I love that most of all about this series. It is full of growth and change. 

I really couldn't have asked for a better ending, one filled with joy and sorrow, much like the other books in the series. I have loved every minute and Sam and Heven's journey and Hebert once again proved why she is an excellent story teller. I so look forward to seeing what she comes out with next.





*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by an outside source. I was not compensated for this review.*

16 comments:

  1. You always have such a varied mix of books on here, I love it! I also find so many new authors and book series through you as well. I'm glad this ended so well and that you loved it so much. I get that worry when it comes to the last book in a series that I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks! I do try to read a lot of different genres to shake things up a bit. Maybe sometimes too much so. ;P

      Delete
  2. I think it's awesome that you loved this ending. I haven't heard of this series, but it does seem like a really good one. I love the cover, the character's eyes look really cool. Thanks for your wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be wrong but I think the covers are all people the author actually knows in real life. ;)

      Delete
  3. Not familiar with this series but I can relate to your personal connection with the characters and feeling like they're your friends. Yeah, endings are sad but at least this one ended great!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true. Thanks Braine and you too!

      Delete
  4. -sigh- It seems like it's been forever since I read the 2nd book. I've kind of forgotten what happened. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I need to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I am not the only one that was behind. ;)

      Delete
  5. You miss them in between books and have come to think of them as friends? That's the type of book series I'd love to create!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bittersweet moment when a series you love comes to an end, sigh. But I'm really happy that it ended on a great note :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is but it is always best when it ends nicely and realistically to the whole series.

      Delete
  7. Okay, to be completely honest, I glanced at the cover and kinda wrinkled my nose. I really didn't like it. It gives off this vampire/twilight vibe in a rather... bronze way. LOL! But I read the blurb, and I was like, "Well, wow, that sounds really interesting." I was caught by that line: "What's next when you've pretty much experienced it all? The End." WOW. That's something you can use for a movie poster.

    And yeah, I understand how you feel! I remember putting if off Champion by Marie Lu for looong months because I didn't think I was ready to say goodbye to the series yet! The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise it is way better than that! It really was a fun read and no vampires!

      Delete
  8. I still haven't read anything by this author yet, though your great review has me itching to. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try her NA series next but I never seem to make time for it, which is a shame because she is a fabulous writer.

      Delete