Saturday, July 5, 2014

Review: On Every Street by Karina Halle

Title: On Every Street
Author: Karina Halle
Series: Prequel to the Artists Trilogy
Published By: Metal Blond Books (March 9, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: NA Contemporary
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

Book Description:
Recommended to be read AFTER Sins & Needles (book #1).

When young con artist Ellie Watt decides to call herself Eden White and go after the drug lord who ruined her as a child, she never expects to fall for one of his henchmen. But Javier Bernal is no ordinary man. Subtly dangerous and overwhelmingly seductive, Eden finds herself passionately in love with Javier, the very person she's set-up to betray. With her body and heart in a heated battle against her deep need for revenge, no one will walk away from this con a winner.












It took me a few days after finishing this before I could even think about starting a review for it. I needed to gather my thoughts first and sort through them. I am still not even sure I know what I want to say, what I want to express about how I feel about this book. 



This isn't a black and white read. Things aren't always how they seem and trying to judge everything that happened, everything that took place, just isn't something you do with a read like this. You can't judge it because you aren't in their shoes. You haven't felt what they felt and even if you have, well then maybe you could but would you really want to?

This is about a girl who wanted revenge. A girl very much broken. A girl that falls in love for the very first time and in the process loses just a little bit of herself along the way but she also gains something too. 

Their love is possessive and dangerous. Exciting and obsessive. But it is also real and raw and even sweet at times. You can't help but feel their passion. Feel their mistakes and just plain and simply feel for them. 

I don't want to go into any specifics but I will say this, this story drew me in. It called to me and even though I was disgusted at times and wanted to tell Ellie to run, run fast and run far, I couldn't help but like Javier as well. I couldn't help but see the very broken and damaged man that just wanted redemption.

I am not going to lie, this was a really hard, even cringe worthy read for me. Their relationship isn't healthy or normal and even right most of the time but it worked for them. It is what they both needed at the time and believe it or not, they both helped each other, it just wasn't enough. Sometimes love isn't enough. 

Do I want to continue this series even though I am sure I will be heartbroken and even fed up and disgusted at times? I do. I can't even explain why, but I do and so I will. 







*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

18 comments:

  1. I kind of like books like these. Books that confuse us. Books we love/hate. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems this author is very well-known for her complex stories, in which the feelings are raw and intense and the plots not so black-and-white, like there are so many angles you need to look into to really appreciate the whole picture. I may try it when I get gutsy, but I don't think I could handle super heavy and thought-provoking and emotional book right now. Haha!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think you would like this one Faye so I do hope you try it at some point in time. ;)

      Delete
  3. Interesting reaction. I don't know how I feel about this one, but well written review! Sometimes it is hard to figure out exactly how you feel about books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I had a lot of the same feelings on this one. I've read the next two in it and they were pretty good. Still had some cringeworthy moments because, whew, yeah they are a bit of a mess but totally sucked me in. Hope you enjoy the crazy ride :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that about them but I still think I really want to check them out.

      Delete
  5. Hmm... I like a book that's outside the box. Your review definitely has me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You get me.

    I have a really hard time with Halle books in general, but I couldn't seem to stop myself with this series. I still haven't read the last book though. I will eventually b/c schadenfreude, but I am definitely on the same page as you are about it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad someone can understand what I mean about this series. ;)

      Delete
  7. This seems like one of those books that you have to read for yourself to really get it, but your reviews really interests me. I wonder what I am going to think of their relationship. I love Karina so I am excited for this one.

    Great review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really do to fully get the whole of it. I do hope you try this one Michelle. :)

      Delete
  8. I read this novella after the first book, and I was rooting against Javier in that book, but this story definitely complicated my feelings toward him. You're so exactly right - their relationship isn't healthy or normal, but it's definitely full of passion and there is a lot of love there. Such an intense series! I hope you like the rest of the books. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard not to like him after this one isn't it?

      Delete
  9. I have Sins and Needles, but haven't read it yet. I appreciate your review on this novella. I have to admit I am definitely curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is definitely one you need to read to get the full story. ;)

      Delete