Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Tell Me Something Tuesday!

This is a fun weekly meme hosted by Heidi over at Rainy Day Ramblings. It is a fun post where she asks a question each week and we get to answer it. It is a fun way to get to know each other and maybe even introduce each other to new books and authors along the way.

This weeks questions is:

 What are the saddest, tear jerking books you have read?

And even though I already had a post scheduled for today, I couldn't resist joining in because tear jerkers are some of my most favorite reads, especially those that you least expected to cry while reading.

The first book I can ever remember really crying over, like cry your heart out and go through tissues like crazy


was A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks. This is also the book that prompted me to pick up all his other books and devour them one winter.











Next would be a book that I picked up on a whim and never expected to cry over let alone fall in love with, Hotel in the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford.

This was a debut novel for Ford and you never would believe it. It was so well written and I connected with the story instantly. If you love anything having to do with this time period, pick this one up, you won't regret it.










I admit it, I cried like a baby at the ending of this one. I adore this series but this book impacted me the most. So much happens to Harry and those he loves, it was heart wrenching and this is the one book that really changed Harry the most. Really turned him into a man from a boy.


Believe it or not this next one was my very first Patterson book and I loved it. Not like most of his crime fighting mystery thrillers at all.

Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. So emotional. I watched the movie years later and...it was horrible. I was so disappointed in it. It didn't do the book justice at all. 




Also my first book by this author, If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I loved the lyrical prose and the heartache of the main character. There was just something so captivating about it that I couldn't help but get wrapped up in the story. 




I really could be on here all day naming books that have made me cry because honestly, I am a crier. I can cry over a sweet Hallmark commercial, a poem my kids have written me or even just because someone else is crying and I can feel their pain or their happiness. I am a big sap.

But if there is one author I can count on to always make me cry (as well as laugh my butt of the next minute) it is Kristin Higgins. I love all her work, her books are just fabulous and if you like chick-lit at all, check out her work, you won't regret it.
Here is one of my favorites from her. 












Next week's question:
 "Cliffhangers... do they make you want to read the next book or steer you away?"











15 comments:

  1. haha the contemp read and then bam Harry Potter. It always amazes me when I see the two mixed together on a blog. I've read a few Nicholas Sparks but then it felt like he was writing the same story over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it has been awhile since I have read anything by him, years in fact but once upon a time I loved his writing.

      Delete
  2. Pretty much anything from Nicholas Sparks is cry-inducing. That man lives on the tears of others I think ;-) I cried at the end of Order of the Phoenix too, that book was a punch to the gut. I still need to read If I Stay, I've been working up the courage to do so for years now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should Jenny, it is fabulous. I never did read the sequel though, I just couldn't take it. ;)

      Delete
  3. I've only read the Harry Potter book, but I don't remember being moved by it? It's funny how one book will impact someone on a deep level, and then someone else reads the same book and totally misses it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ones I remember when I think of sad books is Where the Red Fern Grows (#1 on the sad scale for me) and Sounder. I don't remember what Sounder is about (other than a dog) but it had a strong impact on me and I read probably 40 times as a kid, it was one that I just carted everywhere and it was so worn the pages were literally falling out.
    I know that I have read many sad ones as an adult but they don't seem to stick with me QUITE as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books about animals being sick or dying really do tug at the heart strings.

      Delete
  5. What a great question Kindlemom. And this is why I read the last chapter.
    Once upon a time I loved tear jerkers, the sobbier the better then my hubby was diagnosed w/cancer and I couldn't read them anymore, I still love thrillers and chillers but they MUST have a happy ending. So I picked up a title I thought was a no-brainer I can't remember the name right now but she killed off the heroine. Maybe someday I can go back but right now it's gotta have a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh Debbie, I can see why they would be hard for you to read after all of that. I hope your husband is recovering!!

      Delete
  6. oh gosh yes A Walk to Remember, cried like a little baby, oh and hummm... I know I had a few, cannot remember them

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read A Walk to Remember and saw the movie definitely a tear jerker. Oh I was planning on reading If I Stay but if it is on your list maybe I will pass for a bit until my emotions are more in control. Thanks for doing TMST with me this week, Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be a good idea Heidi, it is emotional.

      Delete
  8. Some of my favorite books are a bit sad. I really liked A Walk to Remember too, and My Sister's Keeper is another sad one. That and The Lovely Bones.

    ReplyDelete