Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Review: Serious Moonlight by Jenn Bennett

Title: Serious Moonlight
Author: Jenn Bennett
Series: Stand Alone
Genre: YA Contemporary
Published By: Simon Pulse (April 16, 2019)
Source: ARC Provided by the Publisher (in exchange of an honest review)
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
After an awkward first encounter, Birdie and Daniel are forced to work together in a Seattle hotel where a famous author leads a mysterious and secluded life in this romantic contemporary novel from the author of Alex, Approximately.

Mystery-book aficionado Birdie Lindberg has an overactive imagination. Raised in isolation and homeschooled by strict grandparents, she’s cultivated a whimsical fantasy life in which she plays the heroic detective and every stranger is a suspect. But her solitary world expands when she takes a job the summer before college, working the graveyard shift at a historic Seattle hotel.

In her new job, Birdie hopes to blossom from introverted dreamer to brave pioneer, and gregarious Daniel Aoki volunteers to be her guide. The hotel’s charismatic young van driver shares the same nocturnal shift and patronizes the waterfront Moonlight Diner where she waits for the early morning ferry after work. Daniel also shares her appetite for intrigue, and he’s stumbled upon a real-life mystery: a famous reclusive writer—never before seen in public—might be secretly meeting someone at the hotel.


To uncover the writer’s puzzling identity, Birdie must come out of her shell…discovering that most confounding mystery of all may be her growing feelings for the elusive riddle that is Daniel.







Is there anything better than a Jenn Bennett book with all her quirky characters, irresistible friendships, and swoon worthy romances?

There might be but you will be hard pressed to find them! 

I adore Jenn's book, I mean, honestly, who doesn't that has tried them? They are so much fun. They are real, raw, and so very very addicting. 

And as weird as it may sound, I love that in all of them, there is always a very strong adult presence. Whether a parent, guardian, loved one, someone. You don't find that very often in YA period and I love that her's are always there, cheering her characters on, supporting them and most of all, just being there, involved in their lives. 

This was such a cute and fun read. Filled with mystery, a sweet romance, and some very real, very tough social, emotional, and even physical issues and I loved it for it. 

Once again Jenn shows why she writes so well in this genre. Why her books stand out and why they are ones I will always be auto buying. 





*All thoughts and opinions are my own. I was not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

37 comments:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed this. I've listened to Jenn Bennett even though YA contemps aren't my thing and I adore her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried her Acadia Bell series? It's a PNR and it is so good Kim, I think you would like it.

      Delete
  2. I thought this one was so cute too! I liked the little mystery too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this author and I'm curious to read this one too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any Jenn Bennett books, but I've heard the best things about her books. I can't wait to read this one, glad to hear it was good! And I love the cover.

    Ash @ JennRenee Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly all of her books that I've tried so far have been so good. I hope you make time for her!

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to try Jenn Bennett since seeing good things for Starry Eyes. Now this one has come along and sounds great too! I need to get on the stick with this author haha! And I do love the sound of adults being involved and supportive- you're right, it's refreshing to see that in YA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is and I don't know why more authors don't do it.

      Delete
  6. Oh I love there's a good adult presence. That's one of my biggest gripes with YA or NA or even adult romance. So often they rely on crummy parent/elder relationships. The cover is fabulous, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree Anna, it's become one of my pet peeves as well.

      Delete
  7. I cannot wait to read this, I really love her books

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the author of Alex Approximately wrote another book, I had been wondering if it was good and now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenn does write some wonderful YA books. I agree about the positive role models in her books, that is one reason I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. havent read any of her work. sounds like im missing out on some good books. thanks for sharing
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like I'm missing out on a fab genre. I guess these are not my grandmother's YAs ;-) Fab review Kindlemom

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read this author but I'm glad to hear you liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read a few of her adults and only one of her young adults, but I totally agree about her books being addicting. I still need to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not read this author. I can see ou had a goo time with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never tried her. It sounds so great. I'll have to give her try someday. Great review.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Melanie and if you don't want to try her YA, try her Acadia Bell series, it is amazing and a PNR.

      Delete
  16. I have a copy of this, so seeing your praising review of this has me super excited, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you have a copy, I hope you love it as well!

      Delete
  17. I love that there are always strong adult characters in her books! At least one has a very large presence, and a solid relationship with the main character. Jenn Bennett is also very sex-positive, which I appreciate. She doesn't shy away from the tough and uncomfortable, and it's refreshing.

    I have loved every single Jenn Bennett book I've read, and I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Have you read Bitter Spirits? It's one of her adult books.

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I read the first and second one I think but need to finish it. I also love her PNR Acadia Bell series, so good!

      Delete
  18. This sounds so good! I haven't read this author but she sounds like on I need to add to my TBR. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try her, she is amazing, both adult and YA.

      Delete
  19. Amazing post with lots of informative and useful and amazing content. Well written and done!! Thanks for sharing keep posting.

    ReplyDelete