Thursday, August 25, 2011

Shattered Dreams: A Midnight Dragonfly Novel by Ellie James

Title: Shattered Dreams: A Midnight Dragonfly Novel
Author: Ellie James
Published By: St. Martin's Griffin (Dec. 6, 2011)
Genre: YA Paranormal
Source: ARC Copy e-galley
My Rating: 4 Stars


Goodreads Description:
Sixteen-year-old Trinity Monsour wants nothing more than to live a normal life. But that isn’t as easy as it seems. Trinity is different. She is special. She sees visions, and for those she’s seen, it’s already too late.
Trinity arrives on her aunt’s doorstep in New Orleans with virtually no knowledge of her mysterious heritage. She begins settling into life at a new school and even starts making friends. But all too quickly her dreams accelerate; twisted, terrifying visions of a girl locked in a dark room. And when the head cheerleader, Jessica, goes missing, Trinity knows she has no choice but to step forward with what she’s seen.
But people believe that Trinity has information about Jessica’s disappearance not because of a dream, but because she is involved. She is kind-of dating Jessica’s ex-boyfriend, Chase, and Jessica did pull a nasty prank on Trinity. Revenge seems like the likeliest scenario.
Nothing prepares Trinity for the dark odyssey that ensues while searching for Jessica, including the surprising romance she finds with Chase, or the shocking truths she learns, not just about the girl who has gone missing, but the past that has been hidden from her.

My Review:
I see this book has gotten quite a few mixed reviews. Some seem to hate it while others love it.
Honestly, I really enjoyed this book. I had a hard time putting it down in fact. I read it every spare moment I could yesterday and even times when I probably should have been doing something else.
Is this story perfect? No.
But like so many other new books in a series (I hope this will be a series!!) there is some world building and some unanswered questions. Some things that aren't quite perfect. But really, this was a fun read.
I like that it didn't necessarily start at the beginning of the story, but rather some weeks after Trinity came to New Orleans.
I like that it started with a game. Truth or Dare, a group of people, some friends, some not. And a creepy old mansion long deserted.
I really enjoyed Trinity's journey to discovering more about her parents, their past and her future.
Like all new books (in a series or otherwise) this book wasn't perfect. It left some things unanswered and unexplained but it was a fun read and it left me wanting more. There was a lot of character building and world setting like any first book.
I am hoping that this was just the first book in a new series and we will get to see more of Trinity, Chase and Dylan, because I would really love to read more about them and see where they all go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment