Friday, March 28, 2014

Review: Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers

Title: Dark Triumph
Author: Robin LaFevers
Series: Book Two in His Fair Assassin Trilogy
Published By: Houghton Mifflin Books For Children (April 2, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Historical Paranormal
My Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Book Description:
When Sybella arrived at the doorstep of St Mortain half mad with grief and despair the convent were only too happy to offer her refuge - but at a price. The sisters of this convent serve Death, and with Sybella naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, she could become one of their most dangerous weapons.

But her assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to the life that nearly drove her mad. Her father's rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother's love is equally monstrous. But when Sybella discovers an unexpected ally she discovers that a daughter of Death may find something other than vengeance to live for...





It is hard not to fall in love with the rich beautiful flow of LaFevers prose. To not become mesmerized by the historical detail of the 15th century and the paranormal elements that truly make this series one unlike any other out there.

Lafever had me completely in her clutches with Grave Mercy and I knew there was no way I wouldn't be continuing the series. It is impossible to ignore, impossible to forget and impossible to put down.

Once again we are thrust back into a world full of deceit, conspiracies, betrayal and revenge. One full of harshness and greed. A world that isn't like anything you have ever seen. Where a convent of sweet innocent looking nuns are nothing more than assassins who answer to the god of Death (Mortain) himself. A world where the blade is a girl's best friend, killing is an artwork and a world where sadly everyone is your enemy and everyone's loyalties must be questioned.

I wasn't ready to let go of Ismae's story and move on to another but it didn't take Sybella long to win me over. How can one not love a daughter of Death? A heroine who fears she is so damaged and tarnished she does not deserve love. 

Like Ismae, Sybella's story isn't an easy one to hear. She has been through a lot, seen a lot and dealt with a lot. More so than any woman of her time, any woman anywhere, should ever have to. Her story is one that is dark, desolate and filled with hopelessness. 

But she is strong and fierce and ruthless and most importantly she is a fighter, a survivor. 

This was deliciously dark with some very disturbing images and events but it didn't distract from the story or take away from it (no matter how disgusting some of it was), in fact, it added to it. Made it a richer, deeper, more heartfelt read. I felt her pain, her anguish, her disgust (with them and herself) and her self loathing. Poor Sybella. She was so very damaged. So very lost and alone. I loved her so much for her willingness to not become the monsters she was raised by even though at times she felt like them and you could tell it would have been so easy for her to fall into their clutches, for her to become just like them. For her to give in and just let go of the goodness that was in her and her will to survive.

This was a fabulous story with characters that stole my heart (loved Beast and Telphanie!). I am dying to read book three now and will be holding my breath in anticipation until it gets here.







*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by an outside source. I was not compensated for this review.*

29 comments:

  1. Awesome. I liked, but didn't love the first book in this series, but I was really interested in how LaFevers was setting this one along the way, and I've heard that book 2 is AMAZING. Your review supports that claim. I can't wait to read it for myself (hopefully before Mortal Heart gets here)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved them both but this really did step it up for me.

      Delete
  2. I love a good dark read, and finding a YA title that fits the bill is even more difficult. I think I'd really enjoy the historical aspects as well. Great review! I'll have to keep this series in mind when it comes time to pick my next read.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. So. I really need to read this Ali! This series is to me what Divergent was to you - I just keep putting it off because all the hype surrounding it scares me. I do so love broken and damaged characters though, so I have no doubt that Sybella will be on of those who sticks with me long after I've finished reading. And I can't wait to meet Beast:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beast is fabulous and this is definitely one of those that lives up to the hype. The writing is amazing.

      Delete
  4. I wasn't ready to let go of Ismae either, but Sybella was a great narrator, and Beast! Loved him. Fabulous review!

    Hafsah @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I just love these books! I'm so anxious for more. They just rip your heart out but piece it back together with the love and warmth we get from the characters. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Candace! I am a little sad that the last book will be it though. :( I am not ready to say good bye yet to any of them.

      Delete
  6. I still havent' read this one, it is going to be a summer listen for sure. I am eager to hear more about Beast and Sybelle, though I will miss Ismae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way but trust me, they are worth it and you still get to see Ismae.

      Delete
  7. Hell yeah, I loved this one. Sybella = <3

    I can't wait to read the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Another fan. Somehow I didn't remember you liking this series Christy, so glad you do!

      Delete
  8. Beast..I adored him! Glad you enjoyed it and now we wait for book three..squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that wait feels like forever I just barely read this one. I just need more!!

      Delete
  9. These sound fantastic. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so amazing and I'm so glad you enjoyed Dark Triumph so much. I need to get to this series, I love the sound of the writing and dark tones, plus the setting/time period...
    Wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fabulous and a must read if you like historical of any kind for sure.

      Delete
  11. I've just skimmed trough your review - I still haven't read this series, but I plan to, especially now when my Tanja loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have really got to get this series read! I've been meaning to for forever and everyone I follow loved them. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tressa, it really is worth the read for sure!

      Delete
  13. hum.. I am really going to have to sit down and give the first book a try again. I struggled with the beginning but I don't think I ever gave it a fair chance. The world building in this series sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is and it does start off slow so that makes it difficult at first but then it is all worth it in the end.

      Delete
  14. Oh how I adore this series! I think this one was my favorite, and I'm thrilled to hear you loved it too. My heart broke for Sybella, but I loved her character, and I absolutely adored Beast too. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay another fan! I know what you mean, she really stole the show.

      Delete
  15. I haven't started this series yet, but I've heard such good things about it, and you're review has convinced me this is something I would like to check out. (I'm bombarding you with comments today - but work was crazy this past week so I am trying to catch up with all my favorite blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great series!

      Thanks so much Ellen for all your comments, I really do appreciate them!! ;)

      Delete