Saturday, March 29, 2014

Review: How to Date a Nerd by Cassie Mae

Title: How to Date a Nerd
Author: Cassie Mae
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Swoon Romance (September 23, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Contemporary
My Rating: 3 Stars

Book Description:
Zoe has a great pair of legs, perky boobs, and wears exactly what she needs to show it all off. She works hard for the easy sleazy ‘you only wish you were me’ reputation, burying who she really is—an all-out nerd.

The only time Zoe gets to be herself is when she hides under her comforter to read X-Men comics, sending jealousy stabs at everyone who attends Comic-Con. Keeping up her popular rep is too important, and she’s so damn insecure to care about the consequences. But when Zoe’s sister takes her car for a ‘crash and burn into a tree’ joyride, her parents get her a replacement. A manual. Something she doesn’t know how to operate, but her next door neighbor Zak sure as heck does.

Zak’s a geek to the core, shunned by everyone in school for playing Dungeons and Dragons at lunch and wearing “Use the Force” t-shirts. And Zoe’s got it bad for the boy. Only Zak doesn’t want Popular Zoe. He wants Geek Zoe.

She has to shove her insecurities and the fear of dropping a few rungs on the social ladder aside to prove to Zak who she really is and who she wants to be… if she can figure it out herself.










I love reads like these, I really do. Those that let you just get away for a couple of hours, cleanse your palate and give you a happily ever after when all is said and done in the end.

And even though I really did love this book, heck, I loved Zak, I would love to say I felt the same way about Zoe, but sadly I just didn't. I couldn't connect with her like I wanted to. 

I liked her well enough but I couldn't get past all the hurt she did to Zak time and time again. How she treated him when others were around and then how she treated (and confused) him when they weren't. 
I understand she wanted to make a name for herself and be a part of the “in crowd”, I get it, I really do...to some extent I do at least but to hurt those that care for you and are always there for you ? To deny what and who you really are? I just  wasn't with her on it. There is no way I could have done it.

But yes (enter big sigh here) I can see why she did it, I just didn't like it.

However, Zak made this story all worth it. His nerdy cuteness, his sincerity, his goodness and willingness to forgive. How could you not love him and want to get to know more of him? 

I think considering all the mistakes that Zoe made in the past and those she is bound to make in the future, this had a very realistic ending. One filled with new beginnings and changes and something that could be more but will go slowly.

This was a cute read and even though I shook my head at Zoe numerous times while reading this, I really did enjoy it and I would recommend it and I most definitely will give this author a try again because, like I said above, Zak was a show stealer and I loved him so much I would love to meet any other adorable guy Mae can come up with.








*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

21 comments:

  1. This sounds like fluffy and fun read when you need few hours of escape from your real life. It reminds me of all those teen movies that were popular around 1999. and 2004.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness you are right, it is a lot like them!

      Delete
  2. This does sound like the perfect in-between book. Even though Zoe made you crazy at times. The cover is adorable too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh, so many times I see main characters this way. I'm all for flawed characters and all, but I really don't like seeing them hurting and disrespecting other people ON PURPOSE. It's like, there are other ways to make them rebellious or ambitious, you know? Why go this route at all? :/ I'm sorry Zoe made you crazy (she would have left me scratching my head and gouging my eyes, too!) but at least the book was decent overall. <3

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Faye, I feel the same way and I think that is why I had such a hard time liking Zoe at first.

      Delete
  4. Great review! Every once in a while I enjoy picking up a light read. I may have to see if our library has this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds super cute. I am glad that Zak made up for Zoe. I think just from the review, that I would probably not like Zoe either. Just from her description. No one should ever be afraid to be themselves. hehe! I associate books to reality wayyyy too much. :). hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pfft .... can't drive a manual, she's lame. jk. I thought she'd be someone I'd like, but I'm not cool with people who act that way. Yet, I'm still interested in reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you just might like this one Christy. ;)

      Delete
  7. I couldn't agree with you more. I loved Zak, but Zoe confounded me at every turn, and I just didn't like her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I wasn't the only one!! Zak was pretty fantastic. ;)

      Delete
  8. This sounds really fun. I'm going to need to take a break from UF/SFF sometime soon, so I can check out some of these awesome contemporaries that I keep having to add to my TBR list.

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm.. It sounds light and fun, but if I can't connect with the main character than it might not be as good, Zak seems to make up for a lot of her shortcomings, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like Zoe might drive me nuts! I do like the light 'palate' cleansers though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. aww at least Zak made this all better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so cute. I enjoy reads like this one also. Great review, sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a fabulous post. So informative and detailed .Very helpful! Cheers!


    https://www.it-blue.com/

    ReplyDelete