Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Indie Book of the Week; Night of the Purple Moon by Scott Cramer

This week I get to bring you something a little different than my normal reads. Night of the Purple Moon by Scott Cramer.



  Synopsis:
Space germs decimate the adult population. Who will survive?

For months, astronomers have been predicting that Earth will pass through the tail of a comet. They say that people will see colorful sunsets and, best of all, a purple moon.

But nobody has predicted the lightning-fast epidemic that sweeps across the planet on the night of the purple moon. The comet brings space dust with it that contains germs that attack human hormones. Older teens and adults die within hours of exposure.

On a small island off the coast of Maine, a group of teens and children struggle to survive in this new world, but all the while they have inside them a ticking time bomb — adolescence.


My Thoughts and Review:
 
I never thought that I would like the dystopian genre as much as I have, especially when it comes to reading a really good one. One that is original and terrifying and one that just seems completely feasible. One that captures you and makes you become all wrapped up in the story at the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next.

That is the kind of dystopian that I found when I started Night of the Purple Moon.

Compelling, terrifying, gripping and just well done.

Something that could really happen and no one would be prepared for.

One thing is for sure. Cramer didn't hold back. There were no sappy love stories or even necessarily any happily ever afters either at the end. This one was real and even a little brutal. It was great.

Completely not what I was expecting. In fact, I became so engrossed in the story and what would happen that I found myself reading this all in one sitting once I got going.

There were a few rough spots and the story and details could have even been longer but overall I thought this was done pretty well and I am hoping that there will be a sequel because I would really like to see what happens next for everyone still alive and dealing with the after effects of the dust and virus.

I give this one 3.5 Stars!

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one, but I'm glad you reviewed it! I will put it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds gripping. Dystopian does that to you grabs on and scares the pants off you but so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is soo creepy when I could see the world heading to a setup in a book.
    Thanks for the review.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete