Friday, June 1, 2012

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Title: Hourglass
Author: Myra McEntire
Series: Book One (of two so far) in the Hourglass Series
Published By: Egmont (June 14, 2011)
Genre: YA Paranormal
My Rating: 4 Stars

Goodreads Description:
 One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back. So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?


My Review:
  This book, this story, these characters, where to begin? They were so much more than I expected. So much better. I know you have heard me say it before but I truly love it when that happens and it just makes it so much better to read a book that blow my expectations for it out of the water. It makes it hard to put down.

Emerson was a feisty character and I loved her sarcastic dry sense of humor. She was a fighter and a survivor. She didn't take no for an answer very easily and she definitely wasn't one to sit around and play the damsel in distress. She turned out to be a pretty fierce kick butt herione.

Michael, Kaleb, both wonderful leading male characters, in fact, I had a hard time picking which one I liked more. Truth be told, I still don't know.

Thomas, Dru and Lily were fabulous secondary characters too. I think Dru was my favorite. She gave Em so much love and support that I actually teared up a little at the conversatiosn and interactions they had at times.

I loved everywhere this book took me. It was never dull or very predictable and it actively kept me turning the pages and wanting more. I am so glad that I have the next book in the series already so I can jump right back into the story and see what happens next.


3 comments:

  1. I JUST bought this book this week while I was one a date with my hubby--I keep reading reviews that it is incredible--So I am dying to start reading it!! (I'm in the middle of finishing up an R2R, so I can't let myself quite yet ;))

    Great review! I will make sure to check out your blog from now on!!!
    -Jen Reading En Vogue
    readingenvogue.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jen! I really hope you like it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this book on my to-read list for a while. I enjoy characters with sarcastic/dry humor type personalities so I have a feeling I'll really enjoy Emerson.

    ReplyDelete