Friday, June 8, 2012

Review: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Title: My Life Next Door
Author: Huntley Fritzpatrick
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Dial Books For Young Readers (June 14, 2012)
Source: ARC Provided by the Publisher
Genre: YA Realistic Ficiton
My Rating: 4 Stars

Goodreads Description:
 A gorgeous debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another

“One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.”

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over.


My Review:

Loved it.

If I could only use two words to describe how I felt about this book, those two would be it, loved it.

Yes, I plan on going a little fan girl on this one because it deserves it, it was just that great. Mind blowing even.

It exceeded all of my expectations and then some.

I fell in love with the whole Garrett clan, every single one of them. I wanted to be there with them and give cute little George a great big squeeze!

Jase, oh goodness Jase. Such a swoon worthy boy, in fact if I had book boyfriends, he would be it. I could completely claim him I think.


I really liked Sam too. She wasn't what I thought she was going to be and I had a lot of fun watching her grow into her own through this book and finally get a backbone and become who she was meant to be.

The only thing keeping me from giving this one 5 stars is that the “incident” was a little strange and it seemed like it was all resolved a little too neatly in the end. It focused on the incident so much and then..kind of nothing. I wish it would have elaborated just a little more on it all. And what happened with her friend, well that wasn't really resolved either. I wish there would have been a little more there as well. I don't want to give anything away because this truly is a book you need to experience for yourself.

Other than that, this was a fabulous read from a debut author and I will definitely be checking out her books in the future.

5 comments:

  1. Ok so the characters are great and there is a swoon worthy boy but what is this incident? Inquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Heidi! If I told you it would ruin everything! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to read this, hope I'll like it as much as you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you do like it Little Paper Rose! Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you liked this. I have this review and haven't picked it up yet. We are expecting a rare rainy weekend, so maybe I will read it tomorrow. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete