Saturday, June 9, 2012

Review: One Moment by Kristina McBride

Title: One Moment
Author: Kristina McBride
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: EgmontUSA (June 26, 2012)
Source: ARC Provided By the Publisher
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction
My Rating: 3.5-4 Stars


Goodreads Description:
 This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie’s life. Now it’s the one she’d do anything to forget.

Maggie Reynolds remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party the night before. She remembers climbing the trail hand in hand with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can’t she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below—dead?

As Maggie’s memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?

The latest novel from the author of The Tension of Opposites, One Moment is a mysterious, searing look at how an instant can change everything you believe about the world around you.


My Review:
This book is one of those stories that pretty much captures your attention after the first few pages.

It leaves you wondering what will happen next and at the beginning, what in the world is going on. Now, I don't mean that in a bad way, but in a good, almost suspenseful way.

From the start you know something bad has happened, what you don't know is why and if it was an accident.

Did he jump on purpose? Was he pushed? And if so, who did it?

This was a pretty emotional read at times as Maggie struggles to remember what happened that fateful day and as she begins to learn that things about Joey weren't what they always seemed. He has secrets that he kept from her and he wasn't who she thought he was, in fact maybe no one was who she thought they were, not even herself.

I don't want to go into too much detail but I will say this, the plot was very well executed and believable. I didn't doubt for a moment that anything was too far fetched or impossible.

I liked how Maggie grew through out the story and became a stronger person. She had a lot to deal with with all the secrets and lies not only from Joey but from her friends as well.

This was a great coming of age novel and I look forward to reading more from the author in the future. I think she has great potential.

8 comments:

  1. You has a great blog. I'm very interesting to stopping here and leaves you a comment. Good work.

    Lets keep writing and blogging

    Nb: Dont forget to leave your comment back for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so many great things about this novel. I wasn't really interested at first but now I'm thinking I should give it a chance. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you do try it! :)
    Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a book that can grab my attention from the very beginning. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I'll put this book on my to read list. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you like it ravenousbiblioworm! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete