Thursday, November 14, 2013

Review: Angelfall by Susan Ee

Title: Angelfall

Author: Susan Ee
Series: Book One in the Penryn and the End of Days Series
Published By: Skyscape (August 28, 2012)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Dystopian
My Rating: 4 Stars!!


Book Description:
It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.






My Thoughts and Review:
Anyone that knows me knows I have a love hate relationship with books about demons and angels and yet I am inexplicably drawn to them. 

I couldn't resist opening this one up, not after all the hype I have seen about it, regardless of that love hate relationship. Right away though, I realized this isn't like all those other books. It is darker, more desperate feeling and as far away from sunshine and rainbows you can get considering the it has angels in it.

But these angels are not saints. 

The world Penryn lives in is desolate, empty and full of despair. In fact, it is more dystopian than anything else and after only the first chapter, I knew I was going to love it and love it I did.

I don't want to go into too many particulars because I don't want to give anything away. This really is unlike any angel story I have read. Action packed from the get go with just the right amount of danger, mystery, and a hint of romance to leave you turning the pages desperately wanting to know more.

Penryn is one kick butt girl that gets the job done and one heroine that you need to meet. 


This was so well done, so imaginative, that it will leave you wanting more and on edge trying to imagine what will happen next. 





*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

19 comments:

  1. You're so lucky because you've read this one just now when the sequel is about to come out. I've been waiting for a year.
    Anyhow I'm so happy you enjoyed this one. It was a great read. :) Great review, Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is absolutely unusual and much darker than I'd expected before picking it up, but I liked it for all those reasons, though not as much as most of my friends seem to have.
    Still I am very excited about finally reading book 2.
    Lovely review, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite books ever! I can't wait for the sequel! Thank God it's coming out next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I am excited for this second one to be out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! I'm so glad you gave this one a chance despite not being overly fond of angel/demon books! This book took me by complete surprise when I first read it, and it just blew me away. I agree, Penryn is totally kick butt:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh I have been dying to read this book for so long!! Why have I been putting it off!? (I know why and it spells TBR but thats beside the point)

    I love that its an imaginative read.

    great review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is another book I own and still haven't read mainly because like you angels & demons are hit and miss with me...but feels like a dystopian and bad-ass..ok, I need to bump this up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone!!

    Michelle and Kim you really should bump this up the pile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember hearing good things about this but strangely enough haven't had a strong urge to pick it up. I'm not big on angel books either. I'm so glad you loved this, maybe I need to just give it a read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would Candace! I really do think even if you aren't normally big on angel books you will like this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am still disgusted with myself for not having read this. I have it scheduled for Christmas time because I want to see what all the fuss is about. I can't wait to check it out! Glad it was a win for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have had this book for so long and have never got around to reading it. I kind of feel the same way, there are some angel books I like and other, not so much. This sounds great though. You have me wanting to find time for it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this book quite a while ago, and I love love loved it! Thanks for the review! I cannot wait to get my hands on the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard so much about this book and finally I gave in and ordered this book ! Now I am more excited than ever to read this book !
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! So happy you loved this one even though you have mixed results with angels and demons. This certainly is in its own league, and I really liked the darker tone. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on World After!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've avoided angel books for ... who ... at least a year or more now. But I bought this one after hearing how it's so freaking amazing. Mmmhmmm ... I believe that once I actually read it. But if you liked it, then my hopes are higher.

    ReplyDelete
  17. READ IT. It was one of the best books I've read in a long time. The characters were likable, the plot was unique, and the premise was horrifying yet mesmerizing. It's a definite must-read.

    nokia lumia 521 reviews

    ReplyDelete