Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Review: The Curse Keepers by Denise Grover Swank

Title: The Curse Keepers
Author: Denise Grover Swank
Series: Book One in the Curse Keepers
Published By: 47North (November 19, 2013)
Source: ARC Copy Provided by the Tour Organizer (and Netgalley)
Genre: Urban Fantasy



Book Description:
The wall between our world and that of vengeful spirits has protected humanity for more than 400 years. It’s about to come crashing down.
Ellie Lancaster has lived her whole life by the site of the mysterious Lost Colony of Roanoke, the Virginia settlement that vanished without a trace around 1590. Only the descendants of the two men who banished the spirits of an enemy tribe from the material realm know what really happened to the colony. Ellie is one of those descendants—a Curse Keeper. Her father took pains to teach her what he knew of the curse and the responsibilities of its guardians. He taught her that if the two Curse Keepers ever meet, the curse will be lifted, the gate will open, and the raging Native American spirits will be unleashed to seek their revenge.


Despite her father’s seriousness, Ellie has always taken the legend for a harmless fairy tale. Until she meets the darkly handsome, but downright infuriating, Collin Dailey and realizes everything she was told is true. For when they meet, it’s like the air is sucked from the room. Collin’s presence is electrifying… and it’s not just attraction Ellie feels, but the inexorable pull toward her destiny. The prophecy is real, and now Ellie and Collin must battle supernatural forces and their loathing—and passion—for each other to set things right.



The Curse Keepers are all that stand between the world and its destruction.










My Thoughts and Review:
I really liked Ms. Swank's writing style after reading her NA Contemporary Series Off the Subject and when I saw that she was writing a whole new series in a  genre I already love, I just knew I needed to try it. 

I am so glad I did because this truly was unique and let's face it, that is getting harder and harder to come by these days in any genre.

Not only did this have a great action packed story line but it had enough sexual tension between the two main characters (the Curse Keepers Collin and Ellie) to get your heart racing and your blood pumping. Throw in a little history about the lost Colony of Roanoke, some paranormal activity of ancient spirits and gods, and an ancient curse  and Ms. Swank really did create a different kind of read that stands out in the genre.

I liked hard working tough girl Ellie from the very beginning, she knows that she wants out of life and she goes after it. Cocky arrogant Collin on the other hand, I had to warm up to. But it wasn't long before I saw underneath his cocky bad boy image and saw that he really was a good guy just doing some really bad things. 


This was a great beginning to what promises to be an action packed, unique series filled with history as well as lies, betrayal and a steam tension filled romance, that I think any lover of Urban Fantasy will really enjoy. 





*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author, publisher or tour organizer. I was not compensated for this review.*

12 comments:

  1. I don't remember seeing this author before but I must admit that this story sounds interesting. I haven't read any UF book in a while too. Glad you enjoyed this one, Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read her NA series but I've heard good things, and this UF definitely sounds like something I would enjoy! I'm all for sexual tension, so bring on Collin and Ellie! Plus, you're so right that it's rare to read anything completely unique, so I'm very excited this brings something new to the table. Fabulous review Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this and have been wondering about it. It does sound good. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound good! I like some sexual tension but the curse plot sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Originality is pretty much the holy grail these days so I'm relieved to know that there are still unique books out there.
    I don't read much NA, but this is something I'd totally pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you found this original and a great start to the series, I am anxious to try this since there aren't many UF books in the YA/NA genres.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love urban fantasy and this certainly does sound unique! I'd definitely read this for the Roanoke history, paranormal elements and sexual tension. Wonderful review, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find the whole Roanoke colony fascinating. If only we knew what really happened. This does sound different and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't mind the cocky bad boy image not at all! this series sounds fun

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree Heidi and you should definitely try this then Lily!

    ReplyDelete