Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Review: The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

Title: The Opportunist
Author: Tarryn Fisher
Published: February 14, 2011
Source: Won
Genre: NA Contemporary
My Rating: 5 Stars!


Book Description:
Olivia Kaspen has just discovered that her ex-boyfriend, Caleb Drake, has lost his memory. With an already lousy reputation for taking advantage of situations, Olivia must decide how far she is willing to go to get Caleb back. Wrestling to keep her true identity and their sordid past under wraps, Olivia’s greatest obstacle is Caleb’s wicked, new girlfriend; Leah Smith. It is a race to the finish as these two vipers engage in a vicious tug of war to possess a man who no longer remembers them. But, soon enough Olivia must face the consequences of her lies, and in the process discover that sometimes love falls short of redemption.









I read reviews for this in the past but the past was a long time ago and I didn’t' quite remember what any of them said other than this was a book that must be read.
So when I went into this, I was pretty much going in blind and I loved that.

Having already read Mud Vein by Tarryn earlier, I knew I was going to be in for the ride of my life and I was thoroughly elated about it.

This stupid, stupid, heart wrenching book.

Oh the feels. The pain. The torment and yet, I loved every freaking minute of it.

Damn Tarryn and her writing ability.

I have come to the realization that I am a masochist because I didn't want this to end. I didn't want that ending. It couldn't be over. I wouldn't accept it.

Thankfully, Caleb and Olivia's story isn't over. Oh no, there is not only a book two but a book three instead and I couldn't be more happy about it.

This lived up to all of my expectations of Tarryn's writing and ability to twist my insides around, do a little jig on them, rip them out and then harshly stuff them back inside again, with me looking around with the whole WTH just happened look on my face and still I know I will come back for more. I will crave more and I will be picking up book two as soon as possible.

Olivia and Caleb's story was...just wow. It was fabulous and horrible and awesome and sad and all those things you love in a book that makes you reel and sob and just plain and simply want more.

Tarryn truly is a master at what she does and I am her slave asking for more no matter the hurt and pain I know I may get along the way because of it.



46 comments:

  1. I'M SO GLAD YOU LOVED THIS! Man, I remember reading this series and how much Caleb and Olivia's love story just gutted me. Wait for the whirlwind of book 2; it's insane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love books that can play with my emotions like this one did.

      Delete
  2. Nereyda is always pushing me to read this book because it's one of her favorite series. This just sounds so amazing. I love it when a book is able to twist your guts and make you really feel. I have this on my e-reader, so I'm going to have to pick this up soon.
    Fabulous review, Ali! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to read this Nick, it is just a crazy ride!

      Delete
  3. Rachel at The Reader's Den told me a long time ago I needed to read this book, so it's been on my list forever! I keep putting it off though because I know it's going to be brutal and I've given myself a complex about it:) I'll need you to read all the books and tell me if things work out well for them in the end. Then I might be able to deal with everything in between!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I know how you feel and there were many times while just reading this one, I felt like things were going to end really badly.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read anything by this author before, but you already have hooked with wanting to read this book. I love going into a book totally blind, I feel you really get all the feels without really whats going on or plot from the very beginning. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, even if you don't start here try something of her's, it will be worth it.

      Delete
  5. Masochistic or not, I'm glad you enjoyed the ride. Some books are so worth it. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Great review Kindlemom, 5 stars! I think I may have to put this on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's sometimes better going into a book blind. I'm not one of those who enjoys the heart wrenching and pain. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really can be so you don't have any expectations or know what will happen next.

      Delete
  8. Wow. This sounds quite incredible. I don't know if it is the kind of book for me, but from what you say, the writing style sounds fantastic. I wonder if the author has any other books. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does have others, I highly recommend Mud Vein! It is fabulous and I know it looks like erotica from the cover but it isn't at all I promise!

      Delete
  9. This sounds like it was a fantastic read for you! I love it when you can go in blind, and the author just takes you away with the *feels* and wow, this sounds like it did in the best of ways. The author is new to me - so I need to check her out.
    Awesome review, Ali :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check her out Kim, I have a feeling you are going to love her work as well. :D

      Delete
  10. I haven't read any of her books yet but I have Mud Vein and know it's a must read. I'm glad this one gave you ALL the feels!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember reading Christy and Rachel's review for this one, and I am sure I even bought a copy. Sadly it is still languishing in my Too be read pile.... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I need to add this to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a difficult read. I don't think my heart can take it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm such a masochist reader. I love the pain! But in real life, I'm such a sadist. LOL. Tarryn seriously needs to write more books. Soon. Fast. I think we should go all Misery on her. See, that's the sadist in me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sound like a heartbreaking read which I really love :) I will add it to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always so great when you don't know what to expect from a book and you're blown away. It's also awesome that you'll have more books to read! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will need to give this book another chance. I bought this not too long ago and returned it because the writing threw me off (plus, the format on the kindle version was prettty meh). I truly want to feel the intensity of her books!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully if you give it another try you like it better the second time. If not, I highly recommend Mud Vein instead, it is also by her but a different style but just as fabulous.

      Delete
  18. Fantastic review Ali..this has been on my radar and I love that it had twists and you didn't know what to expect..it makes the ride more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review. Now you have got me interested in this book.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad I could pique your interest with it!

      Delete
  20. This one is new to me. Adding it to my list now. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't read anything by this author yet, but I've heard amazing things about Mud Vein. Sounds like this book was just as good!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  22. I try to go into all my books blind. I like to read good review about them, but I always like to keep an open mind when I start to read. This books sounds absolutely amazing....You are killing my TBR pile ;)...hehe! Great great review

    ReplyDelete
  23. I still need to read Mud Vein but I know people have loved it. So I am excited to try this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I need to read this, along with other stuff that she wrote, so many wonderful reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, all her stuff is pretty amazing and totally messes with you.

      Delete