Friday, March 27, 2015

Review: Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

Title: Snow Like Ashes
Author: Sara Raasch
Series: Book One in the Snow and Ashes Series
Published By: Baltzer & Bray (October 14, 2014)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Fantasy
My Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Book Description:
A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.







I am always amazed when a new author can waltz into the YA genre and put froth a book that would make any seasoned veteran envy and that is exactly what Raasch has manged to do with Snow Like Ashes. 

I was completely blown away by how well put together this novel is. How well the storyline flowed, how lovable the characters were and how even something as simple as the dreaded love triangle, just worked and worked well. 

I really don't even know what else to say about this other than, once again, I am in love with this genre and all that it has to offer. 

Meira is everything I like in a heroine. Strong, fierce, brave, and she loves fiercely. She is a fighter in every sense of the word and I just connected with her from the beginning. 

Mather and Theron were both wonderful in their own separate ways and yes, I did say there was a love triangle, and let me tell you, both boys are equally fabulous. It will be hard in the end when one gets hurt but I also have to admit, that instead of being irritated by it and rolling my eyes at the tangled web of love, it just worked and was believable. Miera isn't wishy washy like most heroines in her place and her love for the two, are different and both have their advantages over the other. Both would be great for her. Both would let her grow and both have my admiration for different reasons.

This book really did have the right amount of secondary characters, villains and of course main characters. The right amount of romance, action, mystery, and of the paranormal. It truly gave me every single thing I was hoping it would and left me wanting more by the end. I loved the world Raasch created. It was detailed and explained without once feeling like overload of info being dumped on you having it affect the pacing of the story. 


I am so excited I took a chance and read this and not just liked it, but loved it. I love when hype pays off and books really come through and shine.





58 comments:

  1. This one sounds so good and I'm glad to see you had a great time because i saw a lot of glowing reviews about it. I need to try! One day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you loved this too! I adored the story and I must admit, personally I kind of hated the love triangle and would love it if Theron got pushed out of the picture. xD I'm such a huge Mather fangirl and I will probably throw a fit if Meira ends up with Theron! But yes, *individually*, both men are great. I can't wait for the sequel of this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love them both but yeah, I have a soft spot of Mather as well. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, strong, fierce and brave is just how I like my heroines too! Haven't got around to read this one yet, but it will happen in the next few weeks for sure. I have yet to read a review that wasn't complimentary! And I do have a soft spot for debut authors :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love this Ramona! Can't wait to see what you thought. :D

      Delete
  4. I've seen so so many reviews of this book and some brilliant ones too. I am very picky with fantasy books and especially ones that have a massive hype too. I really need to read this one soon I think. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give this one a chance Emma and enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. I really loved this book! It's wonderful when the hype is well deserved, isn't it? So glad you enjoyed this! Lovely review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been dying to read this. I'm super excited that this new author blew your mind!

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been really wanting to read this one since it came out. I'm really glad to hear you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy you enjoyed it! I've seen great reviews of it, and I totally agree: it's purrrfect when someone new comes out with a smashing novel xD Triangles are a total, absolute pet peeve of mine, but then again it happened that a triangle worked in the rare novel, and I always attribute credit for that to the awesomeness of the author's mad skills :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one does work but I agree, they are getting old. :)

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad you liked the heroine in Snow Like Ashes! Meira sounds like a character I would love to meet being so fierce and brave. I'm usually okay with love triangles if handled well and this seems to be the case. I have a copy and need to get to it! Thanks for the wonderful review, Ali! Hope you have a great weekendd :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you would like this Kim! I hope you give it a chance.
      Have a wonderful weekend too!

      Delete
  10. I'm not much of a fantasy ready but I've seen this book everywhere and it kinda sounds good, with the medieval warrior thing going on. I might try to pick this up one day! Thanks for sharing!

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really isn't too high fantasy trust me, I don't do high fantasy but I loved this!

      Delete
  11. Hi Ali, great review. I LOVE It when a debut author Rocks her first novel too. I look forward to trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so hoping book two is just as great. :)

      Delete
  12. Amazing in any genre really to find one like that. Always gets me giddy :) Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and me too Anna! Have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  13. I'm about 30 pages in and had to put it down because review books were piling up :( I can't wait to get back into the book and meet Theron! Mather is already wonderful. This is one love triangle I'm looking forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Balzer and Bray is now my YA Fantasy go-to. I always love their YA novels. That said, I'm thumping my head for not grabbing this. A friend went to her signing and asked if I want a book. I declined ebcause I'm ignorant. What a mistake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have a great line of authors for sure! I do hope you can get a copy!

      Delete
  15. You've convinced me. Awesome review !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, yeah ... this is one I want to read while I'm in my fantasy phase. There seems to be a lot of good fantasy in YA lately. Or maybe I'm just now REALLY noticing and have interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you're right, there has been, or maybe I am just finally paying attention as well since I finally decided I like the genre. ;)

      Delete
  17. It sounds like a really great balance of all the elements we want in a read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This book sounds really good. I know that every once in a while, a love triangle really works and this sounds like it's one of those cases.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been enjoying this genre in YA and like you thought this was wonderful. I look forward to the next book

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely agree with you! This book was so good and I was surprised to know it was a debut with how beautiful and lyrical the narrative was. I'm so excited for book 2 that's for sure!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So happy you loved this Faye! I am so excited about book two!

      Delete
  21. I am so happy to hear that this is such an incredible book. I probably won't be able to get it until summer, but it sounds like I'm absolutely going to LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review! I actually have this one listed on my April TBR! I'm so giddy right now, and so pleased that the book lived up to the hype :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow I also just finished reading this book and can't wait for the second book ,, it was so AWESOME totally didn't excpected to be this good :D I first bought this book because of the cover but now I'm happy I did so :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I quited enjoyed it, buuuut I did want more magic :/ And a better romance! That love-triangle ugh. :P But I'm glad you liked it so much, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lola, me too, sorry you didn't like it more and yeah, love triangles are never wonderful anymore but I am hoping it will be better in book two.
      Did you like it enough to continue the series?

      Delete
  25. I keep telling myself I'm going to read this soon, but I get carried away with other books <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do read it eventually, it is definitely worth the read!

      Delete
  26. I'm super drawn to covers, and this one is gorgeous; I've had it on my to-read list since it came out, and I've been dying to read it! I'm so glad you liked it!!

    New follower!

    Jessica @ Ramblings on Readings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you love it as much as I did and thank you so much for following!! :D

      Delete
  27. I SO want to read this book - I have seen nothing but amazing things about it. I definitely need to buy this one soon!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've heard only amazing things about this book. I even bought a copy, so hopefully I can read it soon. Wonderful review!

    Sorry I've been absent. I've had a headache from hell. I'm going to try to catch up now.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, this certainly sounds amazing. It's been a while since I read any fantasy books. I think I might just have to check this out. Fantastic review.

    ReplyDelete
  30. for me this is a very very good information, because its contents make us become better know and learn more about the wide world, so it would greatly add insight for me, laneways that I say many thanks
    obat penghilang keloid bekas tato tradisional

    ReplyDelete