Thursday, March 26, 2015

Review: Venom by Jennifer Estep

Title: Venom
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Book Three in the Elemental Assassin Series
Published By: Pocket Books (September 28, 2010)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
What kind of assassin works pro bono?

It’s hard to be a badass assassin when a giant is beating the crap out of you. Luckily, I never let pride get in the way of my work. My current mission is personal: annihilate Mab Monroe, the Fire elemental who murdered my family. Which means protecting my identity, even if I have to conceal my powerful Stone and Ice magic when I need it most. 

To the public, I’m Gin Blanco, owner of Ashland’s best barbecue joint. To my friends, I’m the Spider, retired assassin. I still do favors on the side. Like ridding a vampire friend of her oversized stalker—Mab’s right-hand goon who almost got me dead with his massive fists. 

At least irresistible Owen Grayson is on my side. The man knows too much about me, but I’ll take my chances. Then there’s Detective Bria Coolidge, one of Ashland’s finest. Until recently, I thought my baby sister was dead. She probably thinks the same about me. Little does she know, I’m a cold-blooded killer . . . who is about to save her life. 











Can this series get any better?

I swear each book is taken to a new level and I fall harder for Gin, Finn, Sophia, Jo-Jo, Owen (oh my hotness Owen!), and all the others that have made appearances in this book and series.

The action is better, the romance steamier, the friendship more solid, the kick butt-ness more kick butt and...you get the idea. Just when I think I couldn't love this series more Estep ups the anty and it is. 

This really is a series that is just getting better with time and one of the biggest appeals to it, at least for me, is the friendship. Gin and her gang are just amazing and I love their closeness. They truly are family in every sense of the word and I adore it. I adore them. 

Things are heating up and I don't just mean between Gin and Owen. The stakes are getting higher, the danger more evident and consequences for past actions are about to be called forward and revenge taken. 

I am so excited the direction this series is going and I can't wait to read more. I have a feeling this is one of those series that will be in my top ten this year and for always for sure. Estep certainly knows how to write 'em!






49 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting series, I like assassins as characters so let's see how this one works out! Glad you enjoyed it though, fantastic review <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those authors that I am super looking forward to reading! Even Aimee liked one of her books, and I'm curious what her stories are and how she writes them. Must check this author out!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really good, and I wonder why I didn't try to read her before... I'll give it a shot, though when, I have no idea. Time is NOT my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean but her writing really is worth it!

      Delete
  4. I am so happy you are enjoying this series! You're close, wait till you get to book 5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH ALI!!!!! I'm so glad you're loving this series, Gin is one of my all time favorites:) And yay Owen! Isn't he so much better than Donovan? He actually supports Gin and doesn't make her feel less than human for doing what needs to be done in Ashland. Can't wait to see what you think of book 4!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer Estep is one of those authors that I plan to just binge-read one day! I've always been curious about this series and now that I have a new found love with Urban Fantasy, I can't wait to get my hands on this one! Awesome review Kindlemom, glad this book didn't disappoint! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I think she would be a great author to binge read!

      Delete
  7. I really do love Jennifer Estep's YA series, so I need to give this series a shot. I know Jenny is also always fangirling about this series so I HAVE to read it. Gin and the characters sound awesome. MUST MEET OWEN!!
    Lovely review, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You totally rocked this review Ali and I can't agree more about Gin and company. It's on my shelf and hopefully now that I'm giving up over half of my RT reviews I will finally have time to start on my leaning TBR tower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you do start it soon and love it!

      Delete
  9. I enjoy this series too but I was reading them too close together and started feeling like the same thing was happening over and over. So I'm taking a break. But I DO love the characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to do that with series sometimes too Candace for the same reason so I totally understand!

      Delete
  10. I so need to try this series by Jennifer - I want to meet Gin and Owen!! I'm glad this series is one you're enjoying Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try it Kim, I think you would really like it.

      Delete
  11. Ah, I've never heard of this series before, but it sounds great! Though this really isn't the type of books I'd usually pick up, thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grs at me. Every time I see one of you ladies reviewing these I so wish I'd started them already. They sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This series does get better and better! I love it so much. I love Gin and Owen together. and the action is always soooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they are a long lasting couple or I will seriously be peeved!

      Delete
  14. I am so happy to see you enjoyed this one, Ali! :D I've only read a handful of books here and there within the series and I have to say, I've had a lot of fun with them so to see you enjoying them as well makes me happy.

    Reading Estep's books in general is just so much fun!

    Great review, Ali!! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true. It seems like she can write both adult and YA seamlessly.

      Delete
  15. I'm glad you liked this one. Jennifer Estep on my to authors-to-read list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she should be, her writing is just fabulous, in any genre she writes in!

      Delete
  16. I have yet to read a book by her, although I do own four of them. You make this series sound so good. I do have book one. Maybe I can bump it up my tbr list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh you really should, I just know you would love her Lorna, especially since you love this genre.

      Delete
  17. Ooh I'm so dreadfully behind on this series! You're making me want to catch up - Gin is so badass!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen this series around, and it does look pretty good. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yet another one of those series I wanna tread and never actually get to :( I am thrilled you had this much fun reading it and are loving the series (so far at least), maybe seeing your reviews of it will finally push me to actually pick it up :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh Liv, you will really like this series. It has steam to it as well. ;)

      Delete
    2. Rili? That's it, I'm putting it in my reading schedule! *dashes away*

      Delete
  20. Oh wow, this sounds like a kickass series and the book cover is sooo badass too! I've never heard of this series ever but I'm adding it to my TBR! :D Thanks for putting it under my radar! xx

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad you are adding it to your TBR pile, you won't regret it! :D

      Delete
  21. Yes, it can :) I'm currently reading book 12, Black Widow and it's so good! Gin and her escapades hook me every time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This series is on my list Ali along with a few others. I am loving the sound of the characters and like they you are forming connections.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'very been wanting to start this series for a long time. I am just now getting around to the Mortal Instruments series, on book 4 and lof ingredients it. I just might have to try this next. Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay, I should read this. I lost some enthusiasm for the series, but want to give it one more book to fully hook me. So I'm glad the 3rd book is so good. I can't wait to see her and Owen together.

    ReplyDelete