Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Review: Kiss of Venom by Jennifer Estep

Title: Kiss of Venom
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Novella 8.5 in the Elemental Assassin Series
Published By: Pocket Star (June 22, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
The New York Times bestselling Elemental Assassin series continues with a new e-novella—from the hero’s point of view! Owen Grayson is bound and determined to get Gin back...if her enemies don’t get her first.


When you have a history of dating an assassin, a night out on the town can turn deadly—fast. Owen Grayson is still wracked with guilt over the end of his love affair with Gin Blanco, and there aren’t enough gin and tonics in all of Ashland to ease his heartache. But when Gin happens to show up at the same nightclub, he isn’t the only one hoping to get her alone. Some shadowy figures will do anything to take down the Spider, Gin’s assassin alter ego, and Owen will do anything to protect her. This could be the way to win her back, or at least give her a night off from fighting for her life—if Owen can survive... 











I have a confession to make, me, the queen of not skipping books in series or reading out of order, read this out of order,

But, in my defense, I couldn’t resist. I mean, hello, a book told all in Owen's point of view? How can anyone resist that. And besides, the spoilers that this book held for books six and seven and maybe even eight, I already had some idea of so, why not take the chance and do it anyway right?

Honestly, I can say now that I have read this, it was worth it to read it not only out of order but to get Owen's side of things before reading Gin's. I think this way, I will not only be more prepared for the heartache that is to come, but I won't hate anyone because of it.

So yes, those are my excuses for skipping slightly ahead with this one and I'm sticking with them.

Honestly though, this was a fabulous novella like they all are in this series and I'm so glad we got this much needed, much appreciated look into Owen. 





43 comments:

  1. Glad that reading this out of order paid off for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skipping books bugs me. Lol. But I can see why you did with this one. Glad you have no regrets. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It usually really does me as well but I couldn't resist as Owen story. :P

      Delete
  3. You have a lot more restraint than I do! I almost always read series out of order and skip around to titles that I think sound the most interesting in them. :P

    Glad that this one worked out for you. I should try picking this series up again. I think I read the first two but just really wasn't in the mood for Urban Fantasy at the time so didn't enjoy them all that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try again, maybe you will have better luck with them this time. ;)

      Delete
  4. I almost wish I had read this one before Gin's POV of the events too Ali, because I was REALLY mad at Owen and it took me a couple books to get back on board with him. Gin's dealt with enough crap for who she is, she doesn't need it from him too. Glad you enjoyed this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and I knew the next book would be hard because of some of the reviews I read for it so I'm glad too. ;)

      Delete
  5. I've only read Estep's Mythos Academy series, but the Elemental Assassin works have been on my radar for quite a while. I've been on a UF binge lately, so maybe I can get to the first one soon.

    Glad the novella was good for you, too. Even out of order, lol. Sometimes those novellas can be pretty hit or miss.

    Brittany @ http://www.spacebetweenthespines.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved her Mythos series! I read it first so I hope you will like this one too.

      And yeah, they can be hit or miss but so far all of her's (in all her series) have been pretty good for me.

      Delete
  6. This is an author I need to read! I'm glad you enjoyed this one, reading it out of order and all. I can't read books out of order. It drives me crazy! I'm glad it paid off for you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only one book out of order I think (maybe two, I can't remember now) so it wasn't so bad. ;) But yeah, usually it bothers me as well but I think because it was a novella I was okay with it.

      Delete
  7. Never heard of this one, but I'm glad it was a win for you! Lol at you reading it out of order!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oksy so He-- Yes reading out of order is soooooo worth it, I totally agree and since I'm not quite there yet I WILL definitely read this before she breaks his heart, I mean I wasn't ready when she and the cop parted ways waaaaayyyyy back in the beginning and really don't you just want to shake Gin sometimes, I DO!! :) Great review, great series and now this is on my list before #6. YOU ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth it, trust me! And I think he might break her heart but I'm still not sure on that. Either way, there is heartache. ;)

      Delete
  9. It's okay. I would probably skip ahead if their was a book told from one of my favourite characters points of views. I wouldn't be able to resist, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an interesting book and I liked your view of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing! That's great you enjoyed this one and that it was okay reading out of order. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I gave myself spoilers but it was okay.

      Delete
  12. Haha I'm the same say! I can't bring myself to skip a book in a series even if I know it's bad and skipable. I do like to be prepared for deaths though! I have to try this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly! It is so nice to see you!! It was hard knowing I read them out of order but it was worth it. This is a great UF series so definitely try it. ;)

      Delete
  13. I skipped the novellas in this series, I didn't even looked it up. But it's Owen, I should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know that I've actually read this. I listen to the audiobooks for this series, so I've missed pretty much all the novellas. I don't think I even knew about this one. I guess I should get to reading it. I also think that most novellas can be read out of order from the main series. Great review.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of them could but some (like this one) do have spoilers. This was a good one though and I don't regret getting the spoilers at all. ;)

      Delete
  15. LOL at reading out of order. One day I will start her books. I really will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better. ;P j/k I do think you would like them though. ;)

      Delete
  16. Ooh, what a rebel you are!! I'm scared ;) You're endangering the natural course of books haha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know I know I need to read book 2 and maybe re read book 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be enough recap in book two that you shouldn't have to, it goes into a lot of detail. ;)

      Delete
  18. As soon as I get the first few books in this series, I'm gonna start it. There are so many that I'm trying to get to at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, there are so many great books out there I want to read as well. ;)

      Delete
  19. Glad you enjoyed this Ali. The series is high on my list of backlog books to begin!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't know you hadn't tried these yet, for some reason I thought you had. I hope you like them when you do get around to them. :D

      Delete
  20. You know I wanna try some more urban fantasy, but I cannot stand novellas. They're always too short. I always need more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt that way about this one, I wanted it to be longer!

      Delete
  21. I can't wait to start this series this summer! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete