Thursday, May 5, 2016

Review: Morning Star by Pierce Brown

Title: Morning Star
Author: Pierce Brown
Series: Book Three in the Red Rising Trilogy
Published By: Del Rey (February 9, 2016)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA/NA Sci Fi/Dystopian
My Rating: 5 Stars!


Book Description:
Darrow would have lived in peace, but his enemies brought him war. The Gold overlords demanded his obedience, hanged his wife, and enslaved his people. But Darrow is determined to fight back. Risking everything to transform himself and breach Gold society, Darrow has battled to survive the cutthroat rivalries that breed Society's mightiest warriors, climbed the ranks, and waited patiently to unleash the revolution that will tear the hierarchy apart from within.

Finally, the time has come.


But devotion to honor and hunger for vengeance run deep on both sides. Darrow and his comrades-in-arms face powerful enemies without scruple or mercy. Among them are some Darrow once considered friends. To win, Darrow will need to inspire those shackled in darkness to break their chains, unmake the world their cruel masters have built, and claim a destiny too long denied - and too glorious to surrender.








It isn't often that an author can manage to break my heart within the first few pages of a book, but Pierce Brown managed it, and quite successfully too. 

I knew going into this, a series that has quickly become not only a favorite but something “more” would be an emotional one. But after those first few chapters, I knew I was seriously in for a  ride for my life and would be nearly impossible to keep my emotions in check. A ride that,  more than likely, would tear out my heart and laugh in my face at what it had done, and not just once but numerous times along the journey. 

Darrow is not the same man as the first book, nor the same as the second. Instead this mish mesh of both books combined. He isn't as fierce or strong physically and not even mentally at times but instead more quiet, thoughtful and even fearful. 

So much has happened, so much has changed, and not only with the world, and the universe, but with the Sons of Ares and with the Reaper as well.  Some changes are good, some are bad. 

Some new friendships are forged, some old repaired, and some lost forever.

This was such an emotional ride. One that was hard to stomach at times, hard to put down, and one that left me breathless numerous times along the way. Teary eyed, smiling, fearful, and always emotional, this was an amazing conclusion to the series. I am so sad it is is all over but very excited about the way it all came together. 




63 comments:

  1. I really want to try this series. I keep hearing so many great things about it. I need to move this up my TBR. Great review.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are long and very detailed but so darn good that you fly through them.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a truly captivating series. Thanks for introducing it to us, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like The Others series, this is on my list to binge read this year Ali! I'm tired of being out of the loop and I need to know what everyone is raving about! So glad to see another high rating:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a really weird way this reminds me of that series, I think it is the beautiful descriptive writing style or something, either way, YES, try it! I think you'll love it too.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful review, Ali! Very emotional. It’s always hard to say good-bye to a favorite series. I have this series on my tbr-list for some time, and I really want to bump it up in my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you do Ksenia and that you love it. It is just so wonderful. Can't wait for you to read it!

      Delete
  5. I was soo sad to see this series end, you enjoyed it a little more than I did. But definitely a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am as well and I'm glad you did like it even if you didn't love it as much as I did. ;)

      Delete
  6. This is the last book in a great serie and I am not going to read your post for a reason I haven´t started to read this serie and I don´t any spoiler. But know that you give to this book 5 Stars make me want start with this serie.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you do start it and love it too!

      Delete
  7. So I've been hearing amazing things about this series -- it's a bit out of my comfort zone but I think I need to bite the bullet and try it! Glad the ending was so good, great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was completely out of mine too and I couldn't believe how much I ended up loving it so you never know. :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like an amazing series. I really do want to read these, but since all the books are out, I need to find a good time to read them back-to-back if I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would have been awesome to be able to read them back to back, especially since they are longer and there is a lot to remember. ;)

      Delete
  9. Wow Fantastic review!! I loved the first one and I still need to read 2&3!! 🙂😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they get better and better so hopefully you will as well. ;)

      Delete
  10. I started the first on audio and it was just too freaking stressful! One of these days. I know people love his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit stressful with all that happens. I was on edge most of this series I think. ;)

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I loved it too! I liked Darrow better in this one. He hasn't been one of my favorite characters. That ending almost killed me! I was so angry at one point I almost stopped. I'm sure glad I didn't! I wonder what he'll write next. This world still has plenty of possibilites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was pretty nerve racking. I do wonder what he will write next, regardless of what it is, I will pick it up. ;)

      Delete
  12. I know I have to read this series. EVERYONE love it and has raved about this final book. Glad you loved it too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Grace and hopefully once you read it, you will be raving about it as well. ;)

      Delete
  13. I need to read the first one because you've made me curious. Sons of Ares? Universe changed? WTH is happening here?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL you'll love it and it will all make sense I promise!

      Delete
  14. Happy to see you enjoying the series till the end! I stopped after the 1st book, but I might continue! Well done review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahh. I'm scared of the heartbreak you mentioned within its first few pages! I don't think I can handle it. Gah. The ending of the second book nearly destroyed me, but at the same time, I should just jump into this. Rip the bandaid, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very emotional so definitely be prepared. ;)

      Delete
  16. High five! We're in blogger sync. lol. And I totally agree with everything you said. So, so, sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think book one is on my kindle. Glad you could love a book that broke your heart and took you on a crazy ride.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just read Christy's review for this the other day and she convinced me to read it with her fabulous review. And now you've just solidified my decision. It sounds amazing and I can tell it's a series I will have fun with especially with all the character growth.
    Great review, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw another wonderful review for this one so it's great to see it was a great conclusion for you too

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of those series that I look forward to binging!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Ali, you really love this series. Thanks for sharing! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't even know why I haven't pick this one up... (but possibly because I just don't want this series to end -___-). I want to go over Golden Son first before jumping into this.

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to see them end, I don't blame you at all for not being ready for it.

      Delete
  23. I can't believe I haven't started this series yet, but I have got the first two books. Maybe this will be the year to dive in? I'm so glad that you loved this and it was a great ending. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and now is a great time to start it with all the books out. ;) I really hope you like it too!

      Delete
  24. I still need to start this one... and it looks like I really NEED to start it! :) I've heard that this one is tough but so good. At least all 3 are out for me to devour. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good but definitely emotional but I think in a way, they all are.

      Delete
  25. YES! I have such mad love for this trilogy. So glad you loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Kim. He needs to write something else and fast!

      Delete
  26. So glad to hear the series ended on a high for you! I've been curious about this one for quite some time; not that it's over, I may pick it up :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an amazing series and ending - I'm so happy you loved Morning Star. This is a must read for me, Ali!
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved this one so much too! It was a fabulous end to the series.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Now that it's over, I will start this series soon. I have the first book. Sooooo excited. Love to hear how emotional it was for you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have to try this one at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm really hoping to finish this trilogy by the summer. I really enjoyed the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be great to be able to read book two and this together. ;) I hope you love them!

      Delete