Thursday, May 12, 2016

Review: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Title: Me Before You
Author: Jojo Moyes
Series: Book One in the Me Before You Duology
Published By: Viking (December 31, 2012
Source: Borrowed
Genre: Contemporary
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.


What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.








It is so very hard to write a review for this book, awhile I've waited days now, after finishing it, to even begin, I still find myself at a loss as what to say and how to feel.

On one hand, this was a beautiful story and on the other, heartbreakingly sad and tragic and the two are warring, desperately,  over which emotion will win out in the end.

I've debated on what to say, how to say it, and even if it is worth it to bother writing a review but it comes down to this, I did love this book. In all its heartbreak, and truth, and realism, I still loved it and am so very glad that I read it and that is what you need to know most.

This book is worth your time. It is worth the tears, and the heartache, and even the smiles, and sometimes laughter. 

It was beautifully written, beautifully done, and said, and told. A story that might make you mad or sad or anything imaginable in between. One that you won't regret reading, and savoring, and experiencing and when it comes down to it, good or bad, isn't that why we read these type of reads to begin with? To feel? To experience? To know? To understand, if only for a moment, even if we don't agree or see eye to eye or want the ending that we received?





40 comments:

  1. Someone asked about this one tonight at book club. I might one day but whew I don't think I can handle this one right yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really scared to read this one. On on hand, I want to experience the beauty of the book, but then I don't know if I want to deal with all the tears and heartbreak that I know is coming. I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one, Ali! I especially love what you had to say in your last paragraph because I agree! :)
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, that means a lot because it really was so hard to review this one. ;)

      Delete
  3. I loved this one so much when I read it. I loved their relationship. Then the tears. I had all the tears. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! I want to read the next book but then I don't as well. ;)

      Delete
  4. I can't remember which blog I saw a review for this for just a week or so ago, maybe Kimba(Caffeinated) or Steph (cover2cover)? I think they had the same sentiments as you. It really sounds like this book hits you hard and stays with you after it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this one before the movie. Hopefully I will have time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the main reason why I picked it up (finally). I have this thing after having to read before I can watch. ;)

      Delete
  6. Glad you loved this one! I am SO on the fence about reading it -- don't know if I want the heartache but I've heard it's so good! Great review and I am definitely leaning toward reading it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are prepared for it, it does help but there will still be lots of tears I think. ;)

      Delete
  7. Great thoughts!! I really liked this one as well :) Will you read the sequel? I heard it's not as good as this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been debating it and I think for now I'm going to hold off.

      Delete
  8. I love this book so much, and I can't wait to watch the movie. The sequel is good and I love it, but I can honestly say that I would have been happy with just this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that a lot so I think I'm going to pass on reading the sequel, at least for now.

      Delete
  9. Ok, I didn't read the review because I haven't read it yet! My daughter is dying for me to read it but she has it at school! Ugh! I'm glad you liked it though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No spoilers in the review. ;) I really hope you like it, just be prepared, lots of tears. ;)

      Delete
  10. Funny that you just reviewed this cause today we were talking about moving her books to the literature section of the store instead of the fiction (which is more for romance type books). I said literature even though I haven't read it. I think your review confirms that. I definitely need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would be a great place for it as well. ;)

      Delete
  11. Yeah. I really need to get my hands on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Ali. I read this years ago and up to this moment, I can still remember the parts that destroyed me. That's how eviscerating it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It will be one that stays with me for a long time.

      Delete
  13. Oh man, I've been putting off reading this for YEARS! It's one of those books where I know I'll cry. I just know it! And I have to be in a mood for crying to take this book on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review. I've heard great things about this book. I don't know that it is for me. I'm not into books that make me cry. It is one thing if it is part of a series I'm already invested in, but to go into a series that I know will make me sad, I just don't know that I want that. I like my stories to make laugh or be action packed. I'm the same way with my movies. I don't like to watch movies like this. The closest to crying movies are Steel Magnolias, but there are more laughs than cries there.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that! I do like a good emotional book once in a while but definitely not all the time. ;)

      Delete
  15. I loved this one! I really enjoy emotional books. Not sure why, but it is what it is lol!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do too, I just have to have them in small doses. :P

      Delete
  16. I really would like to read this book !

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're probably the first person that's not ranting and raving about this book. I mean you obviously liked it but I expected you to be squealing. I mean, at least you liked it. I'm gonna read this one soon, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of it was just so hard to read about and not be sad about that I liked it but didn't completely love it. If that makes any sense at all.
      I really hope you like it.

      Delete
  18. The older I get, the less I want to cry in books or feel sad-I'd much rather be entertained. That being said, I do know how this one ends and although I know it, I still think it is probably worth the read. Someday, I might read it. I will definitely watch the movie when it comes on cable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for the movie Lorna, I hope we both like it.

      Delete