Thursday, February 27, 2014

Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Title: Under the Never Sky
Author: Veronica Rossi
Series: Book One in the Under the Never Sky Trilogy
Published By: Harper Collins (Jan. 3, 2012)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!

Book Description:
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered.

This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland--known as The Death Shop--are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild--a savage--and her only hope of staying alive. 

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile--everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.







I read the prequel to this series and loved it so much that with that and the fact that I have seen so many great reviews on it, I just knew I had to start this one.

Sadly, it was super hard for me to get into. Way more hard than I was expecting it to be, which was odd  because like I mentioned, I loved the prequel but the beginning of this was way different than the prequel. I wasn't sure I liked Aria or the world she came from. I wanted more about the Outsiders, more Roar and Liv. And okay, it might have been my own fault too, I knew this wasn't Roar and Liv's story but I couldn't help but feel cheated that I wasn't getting it either.

Fantasy has never been my thing, with few exceptions of course, and when I first started this, it felt too fantasy to me. There was so much to learn and so much was already being dumped on me that I was starting to feel a little overwhelmed by it all. In fact with the technology in the Pod it almost felt futurist, way different from the almost primitive world of the Outsiders that I had grown use to from the in the prequel. I was relieved when it was Perry's turn to narrate and we were once again thrown back into the real world, the one ravaged from the aether in the sky, his world. 

If I am being honest, I almost gave up on it and didn't even continue, but I didn't, I hung in there because I just knew there had to be something great about it, there were too many reviews and recommendations that said so.

I didn't love this book.

At first.

And then, then I did. 

I am so glad I didn't give up on this one. I did have to set it aside for a day and come back but once I did, I really warmed up to the story line, the characters and everything that was going on. 

And I really like Aria, I wasn't sure if I would but I did and of course, I already knew I liked Perry and Roar.

Now, I am excited to start the second book and get sucked right back into the story. This really is something extraordinary that just sort of sneaks up on you and before you know it, you love it and want more.







*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by an outside source. I was not compensated for this review.*

17 comments:

  1. I admit this one was really hard for me to get into initially as well Ali, I just couldn't quite get a grasp on the world or Aria, and then as I kept going I realized I was falling in love with her and Perry. And of course Roar, those he's a fairly minor player in this first book:) I"m so glad didn't give up and ended up really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I wasn't the only one Jenny and yes, it is hard to resist Roar!!

      Delete
  2. This was hard for me too! It was weird because I didn't think I loved the book at all. But it was one that really stuck with me. It was in my head and wouldn't go away. So it was like the rating went up later because it's not often a book really sticks with me like that. I still haven't read the rest, but I own the second one so hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to read the other two, they are just as good, well, actually the second is my favorite but they are all good. :)

      Delete
  3. I don't recall having a hard time getting into this one, but I can tell you that book two is phenomenal! It will blow you away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read it and I agree, so much better than this one even. ;)

      Delete
  4. I have book one, and this was one I wasn't overly excited to start but so many love it. I am glad you eventually got into it and appreciate that you shared your struggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I hope you like it if you decide to give it a try.

      Delete
  5. The only thing that makes me nervous is that you didn't love it at the beginning. It is very hard for me to read a book if it doesn't grab me within the first 1 or 2 chapters. Since I know you ended up liking it, it will be easier to decide though! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just a little hard getting into the world but after that I loved it and the characters make it worth it.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you ended up liking this after sticking with it. I can see if you read the prequel first and were hoping for a different kind of story it might be really hard to get into it. Glad you enjoyed it in the end. Lovely review! Can't wait to hear what you think of the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the same experience with this; I almost gave up, but it was so worth pushing through. Especially to get to the 2nd book. And you'll get more of Live and Roar in the 2nd book too. Now I'm excited for you to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! This is another one of those series I've had on my list forever. I'm glad you decided to stick with it and were pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too because I really did like it in the end.

      Delete
  9. Great review hon, thank you for being honest about the series. I probably would be said if I fell in love with the secondary characters as well. Glad to hear you did not give up on it.

    ReplyDelete