Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mini Review: Gilded Ashes by Rosamund Hodge

Title: Gilded Ashes
Author: Rosamund Hodge
Series: Novella in the Cruel Beauty Series
Published By: HarperTeen (April 1, 2014)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!

Book Description:
A romantic reimagining of the classic Cinderella fairy tale, Gilded Ashes is a novella by Rosamund Hodge set in the same world as her debut novel, Cruel Beauty.

Maia doesn't see the point of love when it only brings people pain: her dead mother haunts anyone who hurts Maia, and her stepsisters are desperate for their mother's approval, even though she despises them. Meanwhile, Anax, heir to the Duke of Sardis, doesn't believe in love either—not since he discovered that his childhood sweetheart was only using him for his noble title. But when Maia's and Anax's paths cross before the royal ball, they discover that love might not be the curse they once thought. And it might even be the one thing that can save them both.

Fantasy fans who love Kristin Cashore and Rae Carson will find everything they're looking for in this extraordinary and romantic novella.








There was no way I would be able to resist another book set in the deliciously dark world that Rosmund created in Cruel Beauty. This read was a must, in fact I think it was a need more than a want and I wasn't the slightest bit disappointed as I dived right into the twisted retelling of a beloved childhood fairytale. 

What can I say about this other than I loved it every bit as much as I did it's predecessor? It was every bit as wonderful and delicious as the first. It rang with the gothic feel and rich description that I fell in love with from Cruel Beauty and my only real complaint was that I didn't want it to be over. 

I really hope this will end up being a whole series of dark and twisted retellings because nothing would make me happier and I would gobble them up in a heartbeat. 



*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

26 comments:

  1. Great review! This sounds fantastic !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you!! :) This one had the same vibe as the first one and I loved it!! :) Great review, Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanja! I can't wait to read more from the author, I really love her style.

      Delete
  3. It's wonderful when you read a book that shouldn't end. I sometimes stop reading before the last page so the characters keep going and going. I find comfort knowing they are still out there. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are better than I am, no way could I not know for sure how it ended.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this amazing review, I loved Cruel Beauty and just about to get this one too.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- check box and now each time a remark is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any method you'll be able to remove me from that service? Thanks!.....Cardsharing Server

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the book, but I like the idea of books/novellas set in the same world. That's great you loved this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't read it - I can't find time from all ARCs that piled up on my Kindle - but I have no doubt that I will enjoy it as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you will love this one Glass! Hopefully you can get to it sometime soon.

      Delete
  8. Oh yes I heard great things about Cruel Beauty so it's nice to know that the novella is good as well. I need to try the book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to read this series Ali, your enthusiasm and obvious joy in reading them is contagious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do! I think you would like them. And you should be happy to know that I started Red by SeRine today and am loving it!!

      Delete
  10. I just broke down and bought Cruel Beauty a couple of weeks ago, and I'm sure I'll want to read this too, when I finish it ;) Glad you liked it!

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear that Jessica, I hope you love it.

      Delete
  11. ah I wish this one was longer cause it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved for it to be longer but it was still great with it being around 100 pages or so.

      Delete
  12. I wish I had better luck with Cruel Beauty as much as everybody else. Boo. This novella sounds good, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I am sad you didn't like Cruel Beauty, I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone though. The writing was pretty dark.

      Delete
  13. Sweet! I almost read this a few nights ago but went with something else instead. I'll have to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete