Friday, May 2, 2014

Review: Fifth Grave Past the Light by Darynda Jones

Title: Fifth Grave Past the Light
Author: Darynda Jones
Series: Book Five in the Charley Davidson Series
Published By: St. Martin's Press (July 9, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Paranormal Romance
My Rating: 5 Stars!


Book Description:
Never underestimate the power of a woman on a double espresso with a mocha latte chaser high.
- T-shirt
Charley Davidson isn't your everyday, run-of-the-mill grim reaper. She's more of a paranormal private eye/grim reaper extraordinaire. However, she gets sidetracked when the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, moves in next door. To further complicate matters, Reyes is her main suspect in an arson case. Charley has vowed to stay away from him until she can find out the truth...but then dead women start appearing in her apartment, one after another, each lost, confused, and terrified beyond reason. When it becomes apparent that her own sister, Gemma is the serial killer's next target, Charley has no choice but to ask for Reyes's help. Arsonist or not, he's the one man alive who could protect Gemma no matter who or what came at her. But he wants something in return. Charley. All of her, body and soul. And to keep her sister safe, it is a price she is willing to pay.








This is so terrible but I really just want to start this review with this simply statement, “just pick up the dang books and read them because you won't regret it” kind of thing, because truly, you won't and truly these are just books that you have to experience for yourself. 

No matter how much I want to try, I will never be able to convey the hotness of Reyes, the badness and the goodness of him or even how the man will make you feel when you read about him, I just can't, I wasn't gifted with that ability apparently. I don't have Jones' ability to suck you into my review and completely enthrall you. 

Nor will I be able to express how completely in love I am with Charley and her ADDness and her craziness and her downright wonderfulness. Or with Cookie's willingness to hang right in there with Charley and sometimes even match her madness. Or with Uncle Bob's downright awesomeness (I want to kiss this man for the love and support he gives Charley!). Or Garrett's weirdness (which all makes a little more sense now after reading this), Angel, Quinton, Charley's dad, gosh, just everyone. There isn't a single character that isn't worthy of your love in this series, except for the bad guys. They get no love from me. 

So much came to light in this latest installment. Each book we have been getting just a little bit more here and there about Charley's true nature and abilities and about Reyes and his and each time it just makes me crave more. I want to know everything but it is always done so very well that you don't even realize until the end of the book that, dang, it you wanted more. Instead you are just left feeling antsy and anxious for the next one, because again, dang it, you just want more.

Did I mention this one fet creepier than the others as well? The woman...yeah, they were creeping me out a little with their quiet bug like (poltergeist) activity (it will make sense after you read it I promise).

So much is always going on in these books between Charley's PI business, Charley and Reyes, the demons, ghosts and of course there is always some murderer out there on the loose but usually I can predict a lot of what will happen but, not this time. This time there was a ton I didn't see coming and I absolutely loved it. I relished it.  

I knew I shouldn't have started this series until they were all out because now I am left feeling sad and disappointed that the next book isn't out. 

It is going to be a really long wait until it is and I have a feeling I will have a really hard time picking up something next and being able to get into the story. 

Darn Ms. Jones and her awesome writing abilities. 







*All thoughts and opinions are my own and were not influenced by the author or publisher. I was not compensated for this review.*

31 comments:

  1. Dude, yes, that certain moment with Uncle Bob broke my heart, but also showed just how much she trusts him. Man, this book was good! Only 20 ... 19 excruciating days until the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree everyone whould read the books, I just LOVE them! I read book 6 a few days ago and I loved loved it! You'll see it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So jealous but happy to hear it is fabulous too, not that I doubted it would be. ;)

      Delete
  3. Everyone seems to absolutely love this installment. I'll get caught up soon! Really, I will ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review-I really need to start this series soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ALI! Stop reviewing this series!!!! I don't have time to get caught up on these books right now but I WANT TO SO BAD! I like that this one has a creepier feel to it even though I'm a wimp, I'll be sure to read with all the lights on. When I get to it of course. Which will be tomorrow because I have to go buy the 3 before it I haven't read and read them today:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee I would say I was sorry but I'm not! :P

      Delete
  6. I just finished listening to this one a couple of weeks ago. I purposefully waited because I'd heard about the cliffhanger. And, even though I only have to wait a month or so for the next book it still SUCKS! LOL Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm only at book three, but I'm dying to pick up the rest after your review. I totally agree with you on Reyes *swoon* and Charley and her ADDness and Cookie's willingness to hang right in there with Charley. This is one series where the characters and world/plot all shine. Great review, Ali! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I am so glad you are a fan of them as well. :)

      Delete
  8. I love when I have that feeling of just wanting to yell to everyone to just 'read the books already!'. I've read the first. I so need to continue the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really do Candace they are just fantastic!

      Delete
  9. It isn't that long of a wait until Sixth Grave. Aren't you glad you finally caught up on this series?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, another one I just had to see if you liked it because I haven't even heard of this series. How is it you know all these fantastic series. Where have I been? I am glad you liked it...as soon as goodreads is up and working again, I will be adding the series to my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. bwahaha..I love your review and yes people who haven't read it..I feel the urge to hand them a copy. I cannot wait till Sixth. I adore Reyes and this one was my fav to date :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this! So very true. I wish everyone would try it.

      Delete
  12. 5 Stars! Why have I not started on this yet? Charley sounds kick-ass! I'll be putting this on my shopping list, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so behind in this series and I keep seeing amazing reviews for this book (so many people say it's the best) and it's making me even more excited to catch up! So happy you're loving this series so much. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren and there is no time like the release of another book to catch up. ;)

      Delete
  14. I love this series, even the last two books weren't so awesome as the first ones in my opinion. I love Charley, but from time to time in this book I just wanted to shake her and say: get it together! But considering her "profession" it's normal that she is a little bit on the crazy side, lol.

    Sorry you still don't like Reyes. I love him, but the thing that bugged me in this book is his new "profession". It's like- how can he do *that* when she is out there fighting monsters. That pissed me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I love Reyes, I just don't always trust him. ;)

      Delete
  15. I love this series so much, Darynda is soo amazing and her writing abilities are just as awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome review. Now I just want to stop everything and pick up the dang books and read them :) I know I will kick myself for not doing it sooner.

    ReplyDelete