Monday, February 15, 2016

Review: Death, Doom, and Detention by Darynda Jones

Title: Death, Doom, and Detention
Author: Darynda Jones
Series: Book Two in the Darklight Trilogy
Published By: St. Martin's Press (March 5, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
The normal part of Lorelei MacAlister’s life didn’t just slip away quietly the day Jared Kovach came to town. Nope. The normal part of her life shattered. It exploded. It burst into a gazillion shards of fleeting light.

It went out with a bang.

Goodbye normal.

Hello dark and eerie.

While her best friend, Brooklyn, is focusing all of her energy on helping Lorelei hone her abilities, Lorelei is dealing with the reality that Satan’s second in command has taken up residence inside her body. Oh, and the fact that she has a crush on the Angel of Death. But what a beautiful death it is. If those weren’t bad enough, something sinister has come to town and it wants nothing more than to hear Lorelei’s dying breath as it strangles it out of her. Thank goodness the gang has a supernatural champion. But what happens when the only being who can save them switches sides midstream? How can a group of misfits capture one of the most powerful beings ever created? And will they find out how to bring Jared back to them before it’s too late?








I've been trying to finally get to those trilogies and series that I have been putting off, either continuing or finally finishing and this one was high on my list. Yes I realize it is December but better late than never right?

Darynda Jones has quickly become one of my most favorite authors. Her books are always riddled with humor, sarcastic witty one liners, memorable characters and a fast moving plot, all attributes a girl like me loves in her reading material so it was no wonder this trilogy appealed to me so much.

Having read the first book and liking it, I'm not sure what took me so long to pick up the rest of the series and continue but I'm so very thankful that I finally did.

Filled with Jones' trademark humor that I think her PNR series is famous for, this really was a fun read and a great sequel to the first, in fact, I think I loved it even more than I remember loving the first.

Jared is almost like a miniature Reyes in his brooding dark good looks ways and if Charley had a little sister, you can bet that Lor would fit the bill perfectly.

With a cast of fun and lovable characters, an action filled plot that will keep you guessing and on your toes, paranormal woo hoo and a romance to swoon over, this was such a fun book to read and reminded me all over again why I wanted to read it in the first place.

I can't wait to dive right into the last book and see how it all ends.



44 comments:

  1. Awww a mini Reyes. lol. I'm a slacker. I read the first book awhile back but never continued. I don't even remember enough of the first one to feel comfortable with jumping into this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a lot like him but of course this is YA so very low key Reyes. ;)

      Delete
  2. I wasn't the biggest fan of the 1st book, but I think it might have been my mood because I did like her adult series. I'm glad that you're reading all these series you've started Ali! :)
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it but didn't love it. It isn't as fun as her Charley series. Something lacks a bit in the humor department with this one.

      Delete
  3. I'm unfamiliar with this series, but I think it's awesome you came back to it after a break. Love that dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually saw these books first in the YA dept and then realized she had the adult mystery which I adore, and surprised the heck out to me since I rarely read mystery. Lol, mini Reyes and Charley are on my list to check out. I love the snark Jones writes so I got to try these one day as well.
    Glad you're enjoying these, Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun but Charley and Reyes are still my very favorite. ;)

      Delete
  5. I remember hearing a lot of mixed things about this series so I wasn't sure if I'd read it. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you go in comparing them to her other series you will be disappointed but if you don't then they are definitely fun.

      Delete
  6. Ha! I was just looking at this series at the library this morning. I'll have to check them out soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been having a tough time continuing on with this series, to be honest. But your goal of finishing up unfinished trilogies gave me enough motivation to do so. Lovely review, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks Joy! I'm trying my hardest to at least finish some of the trilogies I've started. It might take me awhile though. Doesn't help that I'm constantly starting new ones. *sigh*

      Delete
  8. Nice to see you enjoying a series you had put off reading. Hidden gems are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although I liked the first one, the writing style for this series isn't as polished as CD. And I agree with you, she always makes these things a fun even if it's morbid by nature. Death! Woooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, this one was lacking but I think if you go into it not comparing at all you will enjoy it more. I think that is why I put off the second and third so long after reading the first.

      Delete
  10. I read the first book in this series. It was a little to YA for me. I'm a huge fan of Charley Davidson. I do love Darynda. The story wasn't bad, just not for me. Glad you're liking this one.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you tried it though right and know. ;)

      Delete
  11. I need to read her adult series! Glad you're enjoying these though. :) I'm trying to find more time to read series that I haven't gotten a chance to check out yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read her adult series, it is hands down in my top ten favorite UF series. ;)

      Delete
  12. Oh good. I haven't read this book, but like you I did like the first one. I also don't know why I didn't read it sooner. Glad you enjoyed it and I'll have to try to get to it sooner than later. So many books... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, we really do need more hours in the day just for reading don't we?

      Delete
  13. Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Is this the same author of the Charley Davidson series? I still need to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep but definitely try Charley first, it is fantastic. ;)

      Delete
  14. I have these on my list along with her other series *hangs head* Glad you enjoyed even with the long delay (so know how that goes lol)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paranormal Romance is not my thing. But I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

    Tori @InToriLex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that, thanks for stopping by Tori!

      Delete
  16. I thought this series was just okay, but I definitely prefer Charley Davidson much more than this. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will have to pick these up! Thanks (as always) for alerting me to a new series (as always)!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think I had heard about this book before, but it sounds awesome and actually like something I might love. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love her adult series even more I think Lorna if you haven't tried them already. ;)

      Delete
  19. I haven't read this one but I always thought her books sounded kind of fun. I'll have to give her a try. Thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all fun which is very nice. Her books are always funny.

      Delete
  20. I do enjoy witty humor and engrossing banter from time to time, Death, Doom, and Detention sounds like a book that would deliver just that :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review. I think I have a couple of books by her. I'll have to shuffle through my kindle library and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a fabulous author, no matter what she writes. ;)

      Delete
  22. Don't know this series, but as always, your enthusiasm is contagious! :D I'll check it out... Hugs

    ReplyDelete