Monday, February 1, 2016

Review: In Too Deep by Sherry D. Ficklin

Title: In Too Deep
Author: Sherry D. Ficklin
Series: Book Two in the #Hacker Series
Published By: Clean Teen Publishing (November 30, 2015)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Mystery
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
One talented hacker. 
One dead body. 
One explosive secret. 
When one reckless night leads Farris Barnett to the dead body of a classmate, she's as willing as everyone else to write it off as a suicide. That is, until cryptic messages start coming in from someone who knows the truth, and they want Farris on the case. Putting her hacker skills to work, she begins to unravel the life of a victim who might just have been the guiltiest of them all. 
Her personal life in turmoil, Farris turns to the only person she can trust to help her get to the bottom of things—a friend on the verge of becoming much more. Together, they confront a killer with a secret not even she could have decoded. 
The biggest bombs, the ones that do the most damage, are the ones you never see coming.










It didn't take me long to pick up book two after finishing book one, in fact I'm pretty sure it was one of those rare times that I downloaded it immediately after finishing the first. 

This series truly took me by surprise with how much fun it was to read and I absolutely loved the main character and just plain and simple, wanted more.

I have to be honest and say the first few chapters, while outstanding, had me worried there for a bit with the change in main characters and let's call it the “romance” of it but it didn't take long ofr Sherry's writing to overcome my apprehension and for me to fall in love with the idea and path she had in mind and to just go with it. In fact, I ended up liking it more than the first even.

She truly knows how to spin a tale and make it work, even when you aren't ready for it or wanting it. Even the mystery is well done. Sometimes predictable but always filled with enough other surprises along the way to keep you guessing and turning the pages. 



52 comments:

  1. Ohhh reeeeally ... the fact that you picked it up so soon makes me more interested? I know you don't do that often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you will have everything figured out way ahead of time but they are still fun. ;)

      Delete
  2. This series really has you hooked. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems like such an addictive series, and it must be good that you downloaded straight after. Will have a look at these for sure. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are going to take a look at them and I hope you end up liking them as well. :D

      Delete
  4. Ooh! I've not read anything by this author but I've been meaning too especially since Kim adored her other series about a Queen? Anyways, that's so awesome that you wanted to pick this one up soon after the first one. I'm curious about the change in characters, but if you say you understood it, then I have nothing to worry about!
    Wonderful review, Ali! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nick and I've been wanting to read that series because of Kim as well.

      Delete
  5. It's always fun to find a series that keeps your interest and wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to look into this series! I hadn't heard of it before. I always FIND books on your site, Ali. That rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I will need to up the first book on my TBR list. I have been hesitant to start this series, because of it's similarity to another series, but I may have to give it a go. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book is free on Amazon so nothing to lose! ;)

      Delete
  8. I love that, when you just let go of expectations, etc and go with the story. So often they really do it better than you ever could have thought. Glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I havent' read anything with Hackers in a long long time, so that part interest me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun different angle than the norm in YA.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad this series took an interesting twist and that this author continues to impress you! Farris certainly sounds like an interesting main character.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when this happens: "She truly knows how to spin a tale and make it work, even when you aren't ready for it or wanting it."
    It's alway great to be surprised like that - glad you enjoyed book two just as much, Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I like it when an author goes in a direction that makes you nervous, but it all just works in the end. Brilly! I think I may need to read this author's work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't say I've heard of this series before, but it says a lot when you jump on the instalment soon after you finish the first. Must check out these books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does and they were what I needed when I needed them. ;)

      Delete
  14. No wonder you continue to love this series. It takes a lot of imagination and twisty thoughts to continue to suprise readers and keep things interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hackers! Yes, to the hackers. I am all for the hackers. I totally need to check this series out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you stuck with the book even though it made you a tad nervous. It's always a good sign when you like the second book better than the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds good Kindlemom. should we read them in order or do they stand up alone?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always a good thing to hear that someone immediately got the second book after reading the first. glad you really enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. it's great to see you had a good time again with the second book like that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a good sign to liked the second book more than the first, even with the first few chapters making you nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am not sure if I know about this series or not.If you reviewed the first one, than maybe I have :) I have read this author and enjoyed her work before and I think I have at least one if not more in my tbr by her. I am glad you liked it enough to immediately download the next-that's very telling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely and I so want to try her other books now because of it. ;)

      Delete
  22. I'm so glad you liked the second one in this series. I'm still not sure it looks like a series for me, but well you never know though! Fabulous review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooo at liking it more than the first! That's always exciting to see happen :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun when it happens for sure. ;) I hope the third book will be just as good!

      Delete
  24. Glad you are having fun with this series Ali :) It is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You've been reading several great mystery novels :) I'm so glad this one worked out for you; great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a lot of fun and it makes me remember why this has always been a go to genre for me. ;)

      Delete