Friday, February 12, 2016

Review: Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay

Title: Of Beast and Beauty
Author: Stacey Jay
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Delacorte Press (July 23, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Retelling/Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
In the beginning was the darkness, and in the darkness was a girl, and in the girl was a secret...

In the domed city of Yuan, the blind Princess Isra, a Smooth Skin, is raised to be a human sacrifice whose death will ensure her city’s vitality. In the desert outside Yuan, Gem, a mutant beast, fights to save his people, the Monstrous, from starvation. Neither dreams that together, they could return balance to both their worlds.

Isra wants to help the city’s Banished people, second-class citizens despised for possessing Monstrous traits. But after she enlists the aid of her prisoner, Gem, who has been captured while trying to steal Yuan’s enchanted roses, she begins to care for him, and to question everything she has been brought up to believe.

As secrets are revealed and Isra’s sight, which vanished during her childhood, returned, Isra will have to choose between duty to her people and the beast she has come to love.








Beauty and the Beast is by far my most favorite childhood fairy tale. Who didn't love the beautiful brown eyed girl who love to read and had a heart of gold?

Being a brown eyed bookworm myself, she was the princess I related to the most. And who wouldn't want to marry a handsome prince?

Being a lover of both the Beauty and the Beast fairytale and of re-tellings, I couldn't resist Stacye Jay's spin on the classic tale. Already loving her spin on the classic Romeo and Juliet in her Juliet Immortal series, I just knew I would be in for a treat and a tale that would be darker and definitely one that would keep me on my toes.

I was not disappointed in the least.

Told in three point of views of Isra, Gem, and Bo, this was done beautifully. 

With a fantasy world that was easy to envision and a cast of character reminiscent of the fairytale this was a fun take on the classic and something I easily and quickly devoured. 

Jay's writing continues to enchant me and I will pick up anything she writes in the future. I just love her twisted take and darker versions of stories that almost have a new like feel and appeal to them.  This was another winner for me and after having this one in my TBR pile for nearly three years, I'm glad I finally read and loved.




47 comments:

  1. Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite Princess movies too! I still haven't read a Beauty and the Beast retelling yet though. I will have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be a lot of fun, I really liked Rosamund Hodge's retelling, it was dark and gritty.

      Delete
  2. Oh this one is definitely going on my wish list, I love Beauty and the Beast too and this one has such a unique spin on it! Win Win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really unique spin. Happy Friday Debbie!

      Delete
  3. I love retellings! I liked a book by her, a UF series that was really nice and I have the second but it's been years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be the same one I read as well, it was really good!

      Delete
  4. This sounds great!! I really enjoy Fairy Tale retellings!!
    Tori @InToriLex

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I ever got past the whole kidnapping thing in Beauty and the Beast. But I was a very analytical kid too. Haha, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another book that's buried in my Kindle. I'll be digging it out soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read her Romeo and Juliet retellings, and I don't know why I haven't read anything else. This sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you like it, different like her other re-telling. ;)

      Delete
  8. I read her retelling of Sleeping Beauty which was surprisingly really good. I read her Romeo and Juliet retellings first but didn't like them at all. I need to read this one. It's gotten some fabulous reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't know she had a Sleeping Beauty one! I will have to check that one out too!

      Delete
  9. I really loved this one as well. I'm glad you fit it in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My fave retellings seem to be of the Beauty and the Beast kind so you know I've been wanting to read this one for such a long time. Made sure it was on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at "stand alone" ��! I love retellings also, and like you I love Beauty and the Beast. I just bought the audio book! Great review Ali! I hope you have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I've started and stopped this book on numerous occasions. Lord. I need to read this once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you can finish it this time. I can see how it won't be for everyone though.

      Delete
  13. I'm so happy you enjoyed this Ali! I bought the book after reading Stacey Jay for the first time last year and can't wait to try this retelling as well :)

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a child, I loved Beauty and the Best too :) I've grown a little tired with these reimagined fairytales though... Still, your review gives me hope for this particular one, so I'll check it out. Happy Valentine's Day, Ali! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not a big fan of re-tellings, but love Beauty and the Beast as well. I am intrigued with the monstrous low class and I like that aspect. Glad this was a good one for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow great review! I enjoy retellings and I loooooove Beauty & the Beast. I'm so glad that you loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a sucker for fairy tale retellings. This is something I am certainly going to read!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always wanted to try this one. I love Beauty and the Beast too!! Sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really liked Princess of Thorns too, have you read that? I heard the audio last month with Nick and I also really liked it, she does such great fairy tale retellings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't but I own it, I checked. I will have to read that one from her next.

      Delete
  20. Oooo just taking a little peek (yay you loved it!) since it's on my gotta read list :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I definitely enjoyed this while reading it, but it hasn't proven to be a re-read (what I rank as 5 stars)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've seen this one around many times but I can't seem to get myself into the idea of picking it up. IDK maybe one day. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beauty & the Beast is my all-time favorite traditional fairy tale too! I'm going to have to look into this one! Have you by chance seen the French film Beauty and the Beast? It came out in 2014 - it's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't Claudia, I will definitely look it up though. I'm sure I will love it as well!

      Delete
  24. Sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing. I love Beauty and the Beast to.

    ReplyDelete