Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Review: Halfway Hexed by Kimberly Frost

Title: Halfway Hexed
Author: Kimberly Frost
Series: Book Three in the Southern Witch Series
Published By: Berkley (March 4, 2014)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars!


Book Description:
Duvall, Texas. 
A small town that’s about to be in some big trouble.

Tammy Jo Trask is finally ready to embrace her mixed-up magic, but not everyone in town is what you’d call supportive. While a scripture-spouting posse is organized to kidnap her and “save” Duvall from witchcraft, the president of WAM—the World Association of Magic—arrives to investigate Tammy’s entanglement with the off-limits and drop-dead gorgeous wizard Bryn Lyons.

But when a clash between the locals and the magical visitors leads to a series of unnatural disasters, Tammy Jo will have to hope that her magical synergy with Bryn is enough to save the town from certain doom.









I was never one to resist a good witchy read and when I discovered the first book in this series I couldn't wait to dive in. I loved it so much that it didn't take me long to pick up the second installment and fall in love all over again with Tammy Jo, Bryn and Zach.

This series is such a fun one. Throw in some magical mayhem more often than not, a mystery, good ole southern charm, that small town feel and two irresistible guys and it is no wonder I was hooked after the first book.

It isn't without its flaws or weak moments but for the most part, I have a good time whenever I read it. I laugh, I smile, I scowl, and I want to roll my eyes but all in a fun loving, I can't get enough of Tammy Jo kind of way.

And as much as I love and adore Zach, it was so nice not having him in this book. For this book to completely be all about Tammy Jo and the sexy Bryn. This is one book where the love triangle doesn't bother me because it is understandable and believable, but having said that, it was nice to have a break from it and just have it be about the two of them this time. It just makes sense to have Bryn and Tammy Jo together. Their world makes sense when they are together. And even though forces would draw them apart, you can tell they should be together.

It was so much fun to see them really work together and come to trust one another. I already liked Bryn (whats not to like) but I might have fallen in love with him. All those questions I had about him and his intentions were answered. I finally felt like we got to know him, really know him and yes, fall in love with him when we really saw who he was and his love for Tammy Jo.

I am so excited about where this series is going and even though I know Zach will be back in the next book and more than likely, get my emotions about who Tammy Jo should be with all jumbled up again, I can't wait for it. 


36 comments:

  1. I was extremenyl interested, and then I read 'two interesting guys' and I got depressed. I know you said that the LT is understandable and believable, but seriously, I just don't get authors who do that anymore! The best UF series out there have a steady couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know what you mean and I agree, some of my most favs are with stable couples. But I think this will be that way before too long if that helps?

      Delete
  2. I seriously need to get into Urban Fantasy, I definitely feel like I'm missing out on an entire genre. I'm gonna make it my duty to do so! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I am definitely going to read more Urban Fantasy. I definitely feel like I'm missing out on something. I'm going to make it my duty to read more of it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love triangle?! I thought adult books were good about avoiding that stuff. As fun as this series does sound, I don't think I'd enjoy it because of the triangle. I've grown so tired of them.
    Lovely review, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are tiring but this isn't bad since it's pretty obvious who she is going to pick from the beginning. ;)

      Delete
  5. I don't love that there's a love triangle in this series Ali, but it's nice it's not present in this particular book. I'll be interested to see what happens in the next book and if the triangle gets all confusing ;-) I think I would like Tammy Jo though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy Jo is awesome and I'm hoping this was the last of the triangle. ;)

      Delete
  6. Ah, a love triangle that is not obnoxiously annoying? How refreshing :) Maybe I should give this a try. Another brilliant review <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. A love triangle... sigh... at least you got a reprieve from it in this one. I have long been wanting to read this series, but still haven't done it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think you would really like it Heidi and I am hoping the triangle is resolved after this. ;)

      Delete
  8. I'm in the minority here, but I don't mind a LT when it's done right. It sounds like Frost did a great job with it. Thanks for the review, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did do a good job with it and thanks Tyler! :D

      Delete
  9. Love the title and your review Ali. Looks like I'm getting a new series to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have me curious but this has a young adult feel to it, particularly with the triangle..oh lordy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it isn't YA at all Kim and the triangle is done very well I promise!

      Delete
  11. It sounds like you are having fun with this series. :) I have to try it some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun for sure and nice that there is humor throughout. ;)

      Delete
  12. I am still on the fence. I hate love triangles so much. I always fall for the wrong guy and they don't end up together and it ruins the whole book for me. It sounds so good though.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how you feel Becca, that has happened to me many times before as well.

      Delete
  13. I hope this is on sale because I want it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea but I hope so because I think you'd like it!

      Delete
  14. Oh yes I really like this series, so much fun. I have the last book but I still need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds great! Another author I've not tried. Definitely adding it to the list. I'm good with triangles especially when well done like this one sounds :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, then I think you will really like this then!

      Delete
  16. This is a new one to me. I've never read urban fantasy before... Maybe I should try it some time?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to see you enjoyed this one. This is a new series to me, will have to check it up on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am drawn to books with witches too. I added the first book to my TBR. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete