Thursday, June 18, 2015

Review: Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews

Title: Magic Breaks
Author: Ilona Andrews
Series: Book Seven in the Kate Daniels Series
Published By: Ace (July 29, 2014)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 5 Stars!


Book Description:
No matter how much the paranormal politics of Atlanta change, one thing always remains the same: if there’s trouble, Kate Daniels will be in the middle of it…

As the mate of the Beast Lord, Curran, former mercenary Kate Daniels has more responsibilities than it seems possible to juggle. Not only is she still struggling to keep her investigative business afloat, she must now deal with the affairs of the pack, including preparing her people for attack from Roland, a cruel ancient being with god-like powers. Since Kate’s connection to Roland has come out into the open, no one is safe—especially those closest to Kate.

As Roland’s long shadow looms ever nearer, Kate is called to attend the Conclave, a gathering of the leaders from the various supernatural factions in Atlanta. When one of the Masters of the Dead is found murdered there, apparently at the hands of a shapeshifter, Kate is given only twenty-four hours to hunt down the killer. And this time, if she fails, she’ll find herself embroiled in a war which could destroy everything she holds dear… 







Is there a single Kate Daniels book out there that isn't fantastic? I would honestly have to answer that question with a no, no there isn't. But, this by far has become a favorite out of all of them for me.

So very much happens and in fact, the main story arc of the past six books, comes to an end in this exciting, action packed seventh book. 

Even though things were more intense, more dangerous and outright more kick butt, I'm having a terrible time portraying, writing in words,  all that I felt while reading this. It was just so much, MORE and I know my review, isn't going to do this series, this book, justice.

Kate and Curran have been a favorite since the very beginning along with several members of the pack, and even some that aren't in the pack, that I shouldn't like at all. This story is so engaging, so fabulously written with just the right amount of humor, action, sups,  romance, magic, and danger to really make it be one of those books that puts you on the edge of your seat frantically reading as quickly as you can and not wanting to miss a thing.

I loved that while this isn't the end of the series (thank goodness!), it was the end of this chapter in Kate and Curran's life. The end of the story arc in so many ways, but a big beginning too in lots of others.

I'm so very excited about where this series is headed and hoping like heck that everyone I love, will still be front and center for it all. But I trust the Andrews and I know they haven't come this far with this couple, to screw it up now. So it is with an anxious and a sad heart, that I say goodbye to many things that have to do with this series, but with an open heart, welcome all the changes I know are in store for it as well. 






34 comments:

  1. Oh man. I am hanging my head in reader girl shame. I've still not read this one. I love the series and have it even I think. Yay for it being a 5 star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it. I'm going to get caught up this weekend. I can't be out of the Kate and Curran loop any longer Ali! HERE I COME BEAST LORD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cracked up so hard at Jenny's comment! :D
    I'm on book 2, but I'm trying to get caught up on this series before the end of July. I'm loving Kate so much. I haven't had the chance to get to know Curran more whatever, I'm ready to give up an ovary for him. I love Derek so much! <3
    I can't wait, Ali! And I'm so happy this series continues to impress you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore Derek! He is amazing and some sad things happen to him so be prepared but you will just love him all the more for it. In fact, really, all the guys in this series are pretty drool worthy. ;)

      Delete
  4. Ah Ali, yet another author I've yet to read. Great review, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have mixed feelings about Curran's decision in this one and I'm very curious to see what happens next in their lives along with the Pack. I just hope this means we get to see more of Jim and Dali, I love those two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree. It will really be interesting for the whole pack. I do hope we see tons of them still some how.

      Delete
  6. It's so satisfying when the characters you love get to a point that more or less meets your expectations! I'm glad you got that with Kate and Curran :) And as I said before I need to catch up on this series! Great review <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely catch up! This series is so worth it! :D

      Delete
  7. I love how it ended a chapter for Kate and Curran too. I hate waiting a whole series to get closure in everything. I am so happy you love this series as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice and I was expecting it which made it even better I think. I hate it when things are dragged out too long. I look forward to something new and fresh with the next book. ;)

      Delete
  8. I need to catch up on this series!! I think I finished book 6 (or maybe it was 5) and then fell out of the loop because there were so many other books! I am really excited to see that this arc ended really well and I hope I am going to be satisfied with the way it ends!! :)

    Great review, Ali!!

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in a way you will be but although it ended, I still think there is going to be more from it as well. It will make sense when you read it. ;)

      Delete
  9. Every time someone does a review for this series, it reminds me that I need to start it! Glad you loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too! I do hope you find time to start it, it is worth it.

      Delete
  10. I know right? Very few authors are ever as consistent as Ilona Andrews!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another 5 star read! Wohoo! Are you reading them back to back, them Kate Daniels books? You really make me want to read Charley Davidson, I don't know why. xd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the 6th and 7th close together but not back to back. They were the only two I had left until the new one comes out in a few months.

      I still have two Charley's to read! I love that series as much as I love this one. ;)

      Delete
  12. yay for more great Kate Daniels. I've just read the new book and love it, always so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so good to hear that this series is consistently good. That is a rarity. I look forward to reading the first in this series at some point. It has been on my shelf for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read it. The first isn't the best by any means but by the second or third you will be hooked. ;)

      Delete
  14. I am excited to see how things develop. To me each book only reaffirms my love for this series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really good point Kim and true for me as well. :D

      Delete
  15. This sounds amazing. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I believe Magic Breaks is the book I stopped at in the series. I plan to re-read the entire series this year and finally read the newest books :) Love me some Kate Daniels!

    ReplyDelete