Monday, June 8, 2015

Review: The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud

Title: The Screaming Staircase
Author: Jonathan Stroud
Series: Book One in the Lockwood & Co. Series
Published By: Doubleday Children's (August 29, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: MG Paranormal
My Rating: 4 Stars


Book Description:
When the dead come back to haunt the living, Lockwood & Co. step in . . .

For more than fifty years, the country has been affected by a horrifying epidemic of ghosts. A number of Psychic Investigations Agencies have sprung up to destroy the dangerous apparitions.

Lucy Carlyle, a talented young agent, arrives in London hoping for a notable career. Instead she finds herself joining the smallest, most ramshackle agency in the city, run by the charismatic Anthony Lockwood. When one of their cases goes horribly wrong, Lockwood & Co. have one last chance of redemption. Unfortunately this involves spending the night in one of the most haunted houses in England, and trying to escape alive.

Set in a city stalked by spectres, The Screaming Staircase is the first in a chilling new series full of suspense, humour and truly terrifying ghosts. Your nights will never be the same again . . . 










After seeing so many glowing reviews for this and the simple fact that it is all about ghost hunting, there was no way I could pass this up. I almost never resist a good ghost story.

Even though set in modern day London (or at least I think that is the setting since it never gives a year), I couldn't help but love the old world style to it. An almost Sherlock Holmes feel to it if you will.

I loved this from the very first page and while there was a lot of info dumping (to be expected of course) it was done just right as to never weigh the story down. It was done with just the right amount of finesse to keep it interesting and the story active and alive.

I liked Lucy, George, and Anthony right away. George added just enough humor and fun to the story to truly make it engaging and Lockwood enough mystery that it kept me turning the pages.


I loved that while I wouldn't exactly say this was scary, it did have some slightly creepy moments. The ghosts are definitely not Casper material but instead, mean, confused and vengeful and sometimes, even out for blood. I will definitely be picking up book two as soon as I can.






44 comments:

  1. You wrote Sherlock Holmes feel and I'm pretty much in. Words I cannot resist, those. I've never seen this one before, but I love that it's slightly creepy, at least. I would probably enjoy it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is creepy but more so towards the end than the beginning.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good one but I hate info-dumping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good. Might have to give this a try. Adding to my TBR! :D

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds good to me! I love ghosts in fiction and like them even better in a book that has an old school style without being too scary. Thank you for reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think in the context of certain stories info dumping works well for me, that way I feel fully grounded in the world before all the action starts and I don't have to worry about lingering questions:) Looking forward to your thoughts on book 2 Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so interesting, and the title really grabbed me. I agree, info dumps are necessary, but when done correctly they can make the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a MG series right? I have seen it around and read some reviews and I have it on my kids wish list. What age do you think this is appropriate for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I would think depending on the reader at least 10. some of the scenes are a bit scarier and bloody.

      Delete
  8. Hm, not big on MG stories - but I do love ghosts, so .... dilemma! Lol :))) It sounds interesting, especially because the of the creepy moments. Ghost-creepy is the best kind of creepy if you ask me :) You review is as great as ever <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not big on it either but this was really good. ;)

      Delete
  9. The cover of this book is so damn pretty that I want to read it,just for that. Really enjoyed your review x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I've been enjoying ghostie stories and I also love a good mystery. I'm going to have to check this one out. I'm thinking some of my MG family would also enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering if this was modern day. I also love ghost books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope not modern day, more like in the 19 century I believe.

      Delete
  12. Okay Kindlemom, I'm not a huge fan of YA but I think I could really get inot this read. Thanks for the fab review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've also seen this series around too, Ali, but never picked it up. I like the paranormal aspect and the Sherlock feel to it. I'll have to try this series someday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an unusual title. I think I'm drawn to it, regardless. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unusual but it makes sense when you read the story. ;)

      Delete
  15. Glad that the author was able to give you all of the information without making it feel like too much of an info-dump. That's a delicate balance.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  16. Screaming Staircase sounds like the perfect blend of scary & fun, plus Sherlock Holmes vibe - I'm making sure to add this to my TBR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love ghost books, it's great to see you had a good time with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a soft spot for anything Sherlock Holmes. I actually just finished reading a haunting story too! And since I was left with a desire to indulge in a bit more thrill and suspense, I may have to lean in and check this one out ha ha! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when that happens, which book was it you read?

      Delete
    2. Serafina and the Black Cloak - it's a middle grade narrative, but a fantastic one nonetheless ;)

      Delete
    3. I've heard of the first one but not the second. I'll have to look it up. I do have Serafina on my TBR list, I so need to get to it soon! Thanks so much for letting me know they both are good!

      Delete
  19. This one is totally new to me and It looks good. I love finding new books from blogs. :) and it has a sherlock holmes feel! Yes please!

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I love most about them as well. :D

      Delete
  20. Ah Ali you had me at Holmes like feel. This sounds like a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! I just bought book two and can't wait to read it!

      Delete
  21. I really need to read more ghostly books. That's great the info dump worked and didn't cause too much ahhhhh. Always nice when an author can pull that off.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've seen a few reviews of this recently that have me curious to give it a try - glad you enjoyed it! Can't wait to hear what you think of the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ghost stories are kind of hit and miss for me. I am really glad you enjoyed this one. It definitely sounds like a hit Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete