Friday, July 31, 2015

Review: Undying Legion by Clay Griffith and Susan Griffith

Title: Undying Legion
Author(s): Clay Griffith and Susan Griffith
Series: Book Two in the Crown & Key Series
Published By: Del Rey (June 30, 2015)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 5 Stars!


Book Description:
A thrilling new Victorian-era urban fantasy for fans of Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid Chronicles, the Showtime series Penny Dreadful, and the Sherlock Holmes movies featuring Robert Downey, Jr.

With a flood of dark magic about to engulf Victorian London, can a handful of heroes vanquish a legion of the undead?

When monster-hunter Malcolm MacFarlane comes across the gruesome aftermath of a ritual murder in a London church, he enlists the help of magician-scribe Simon Archer and alchemist extraordinaire Kate Anstruther. Studying the macabre scene, they struggle to understand obscure clues in the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics carved into the victim’s heart—as well as bizarre mystical allusions to the romantic poetry of William Blake. One thing is clear: Some very potent black magic is at work.

But this human sacrifice is only the first in a series of ritualized slayings. Desperate to save lives while there is still time, Simon, Kate, and Malcolm—along with gadget geek Penny Carter and Charlotte, an adolescent werewolf—track down a necromancer who is reanimating the deceased. As the team battles an unrelenting army of undead, a powerful Egyptian mummy, and serpentine demons, the necromancer proves an elusive quarry. And when the true purpose of the ritual is revealed, the gifted allies must confront a destructive force that is positively apocalyptic.









When you love a first book in a series as much as I loved Shadow Revolution, it is with some trepidation that you open up book two. Not because you don't want to read it but rather, you don't want anything to make book one, the book you love, to not be as great as you remember it. 

They say the second book in a series, sometimes can make or break it. You know, the dreaded second book, or middle book syndrome. The ones that sometimes have too much info dump, not enough action, and drag so very much, that you almost regret even starting the series to begin with.

Those are the reasons why most of us, dread opening that second book when the first one was so great. Will it live up to its predecessor or am I going to regret this later on?

Thankfully, I had no cause to be concerned. This was fabulous and reminded me all over again, why I loved the first book so very much. 

With the steampunkish era, action, adventure, amazing characters, not to mention hints of magic and the sup world, this truly is a stand out fun series that I just can't seem to get enough of. 

Simon, Malcolm, Katie, Imogen, Charlotte, Hogarth, Penny, truly, these are some of my favorite characters and my love for all of them grew exponentially throughout this story. I couldn't get enough of them. 

I am so very thankfully that I have book three sitting right next to me because I am diving right into it. 

This series has quickly become a favorite of mine and I can't wait to read more.







57 comments:

  1. It is so true that book two can make or break a series!!! Glad this one was great for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Grace, it really was a relief!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh yay. Book one is our book club read for I believe September. Can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You are going to love it Anna, I'm so excited you are starting it.

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this series until now! It sounds soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good and I just finished book three and loved it as well.

      Delete
  4. I'm always pretty worried too that I won't like the second book as much as the first. I'm so happy this was a huge success for you, Ali. It looks like another UF series that I must add to my TBR! :)
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely add this one Nick, it is fabulous!!

      Delete
  5. Oh wow! So glad this was such a great installment for you, Ali. It is definitely a rare treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! Thanks so much Joy for stopping by!!! Have a great weekend. :D

      Delete
  6. Okay that's it..I am picking up an urban fantasy novel soon. They sound like such a good time. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay pick this series up!! I want to know what you think about it. ;)

      Delete
  7. Completely agree Ali - I always the sequel of a book I absolutely loved, worrying it will follow a familiar arc or just not reach the bar set by the first one. So glad that wasn't the case here. WOO HOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jenny and thanks so much! I hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. YAY!! So happy you loved book two as much as I did. What an amazing second book. How about the first kiss? Lol. I can't wait for book three.
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was and I just finished book three and it was just as great! I can't wait for you to read it as well Kim. :D

      Delete
  9. I fell behind on this! Loved the first book - what an amazing cast of characters, right? Glad you loved this as much as the first - can't wait to get to it myself! :) Have a great weekend <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read the others, so good!!
      I hope you have a fabulous weekend as well! <3

      Delete
  10. Kindlemom I know exactly what you mean by book two trepidation. But I've read this authors Vampire Empire series and loved every book. I want this one too, but oh my there never seems to be enough time to read all the super books out there. I may have to make an exception on this series and get it. Thanks for the super review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read that series too Debbie, I have heard great things about it. And yes, we readers need hours in the day that are just dedicated to books don't we?
      Have a lovely weekend!!

      Delete
  11. YaY! I'm so glad. I'm about to start this one since I have the third for review. I cannot wait to get to it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love it and the third is just as good. ;)

      Delete
  12. This sounds like a series that I would really enjoy. I love Victorian era takes. So good to know that the second lived up to your expectations after loving the first. I agree that it is a frequent fear of mine that I will end up disappointed in said situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love this era I really think you will like this one too. :D

      Delete
  13. So happy to hear this didn't suffer from the second book syndrome. I'm always on the lookout for a new amazing UF read and I've never heard of this series. The comparison in the description to The Iron Druid Chronicles has me itching to pick this up. I love that series! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do need to try that series. I have a a feeling I would really love it as well, so many people seem to really like it.

      Delete
  14. Ya I am so happy you loved this. I am listening to the final book and it is intense!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally get what you mean, dear! I know I have loved some amazing series debuts out there, but come the sequels, they ruin the rest of the series, EVEN the first book :( (a series comes to mind right now, which is an absolute tragedy uhuhuh). I'm glad to know that the sequel here doesn't suffer from the middle book syndrome! I'll have to check it out myself!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye and I do hope you check it out, it was so much fun.

      Delete
  16. ----->Victorian-era urban fantasy<----- This! This sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so happy to hear this didn't fall under the dreaded second book slump. I think I'd really like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this too and it's great that the books are released in close succession. No waiting game!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Second books are either a hit or a miss. Glad this one was a hit for you! I'm not into Steampunk fantasy but I'd like to read a few, maybe give this series a try. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a great place to start if you do decide to try it. :)

      Delete
  20. 'for fans of Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid Chronicles" - That's definitely me. I'm glad to see you love this so much. I snagged the first book cheap, so hopefully I'll start it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am such a fan of Kevin Hearne, so this should be right up my alley. I don't know why I missed the ARCS for the first book, I really need to get this and read it for fall/winter. Binge reading ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A 5 star review! Wow, I feel like am missing out on an epic fantasy story! The characters truly sound amazing in this one. Isn't it wonderful to have the following book in the series right at hand? :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's VERY rare I like the second book in a series enough to read the third. I'm not sure it's even ever happened...except maybe with kids' books. Junie B. Jones...those sort of books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, read this series! I bet you like them all. :)

      Delete
  24. I have been meaning to get into these types of books. They are so popular now but I am a wimp when it comes to trying new things, lol

    Sarah @ One Curvy Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that but if you do want to try a new genre, this is a great one to try and a good place to start. ;)

      Delete
  25. When I first looked at the cover I KNEW it was going to be set in the Victorian era which is my favorite! I was just saying last week, that I need to get into more Urban Fantasy. What I've read from the genre, I've typically enjoyed, so soon you'll definitely see more UF being showcased on my blog! & good review, I definitely like your voice :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I understand your nervousness about starting a second booj! I'm so glad you loved this one! How was the gruesome level? Worse than the first book? I'm glad that Charlotte is back! Now you've got me curious how the alchemist's sister is. Dang, I might have to try this after all. (Just not at night)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try it, it is fabulous! Not so gruesome as the first actually.

      Delete
  27. I understand your nervousness about starting a second booj! I'm so glad you loved this one! How was the gruesome level? Worse than the first book? I'm glad that Charlotte is back! Now you've got me curious how the alchemist's sister is. Dang, I might have to try this after all. (Just not at night)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I understand your nervousness about starting a second booj! I'm so glad you loved this one! How was the gruesome level? Worse than the first book? I'm glad that Charlotte is back! Now you've got me curious how the alchemist's sister is. Dang, I might have to try this after all. (Just not at night)

    ReplyDelete