Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Review: In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters

Title: In the Shadow of Blackbirds
Author: Cat Winters
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Amulet (April 2, 2013)
Source: Purchased
Genre: YA Historical/Paranormal
My Rating: 4 Stars


Book Description:
In 1918, the world seems on the verge of apocalypse. Americans roam the streets in gauze masks to ward off the deadly Spanish influenza, and the government ships young men to the front lines of a brutal war, creating an atmosphere of fear and confusion. Sixteen-year-old Mary Shelley Black watches as desperate mourners flock to séances and spirit photographers for comfort, but she herself has never believed in ghosts. During her bleakest moment, however, she’s forced to rethink her entire way of looking at life and death, for her first love—a boy who died in battle—returns in spirit form. But what does he want from her?


Featuring haunting archival early-twentieth-century photographs, this is a tense, romantic story set in a past that is eerily like our own time.








Cat Winter's Never ceases to pull me right into the very heart of her stories with their rich historical detail and their feisty heroines who are anything but the norm. 

Always set in a time of our world that was both fascinating in it's advances and prehistoric in it's ideas and technology, and every bit as horrifying as it is captivating, her debut novel In the Shadow of Blackbirds was every bit as good as her latest releases.

Having read all of her books out of order, I can say that I truly haven't noticed the difference between her first or her third, they are all well written, well plotted out and well done.

This was such a good read. The right amount of mystery, intrigue, and just a hint of romance (set in the past) that left me on my toes and turning the pages.

With a paranormal aspect that was every bit as good as the horrific historic, this really was a fabulous read good for any time of the year. 

42 comments:

  1. Maaan, I haven't read any of her books yet, but you all seem to love her books. I'll get to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are historical but they all have a slight paranormal edge to them as well I just love. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh this sounds so good! I want to see the photos too. Lol. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I still haven't read anything by Cat Winters Ali! I need to change that this year:) I've heard such amazing things about this one in particular, can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely change that Jenny, I think you would really like her writing style.

      Delete
  4. oh yes I was curious about this one, it looked intriguing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun read for sure and yes, very interesting!

      Delete
  5. This sounds great, I'm adding it to the list of possible books that will help me get into more historical fiction, great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her's are good ones because they are always so much more than just historical. ;)

      Delete
  6. She really is a great author! This was my first by her and I enjoyed it so much. She definitely stands out in the genre. I'm glad you're loving her books too, Ali! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really does and I never hesitate to pick them up because of it. :)

      Delete
  7. I agree that all her books are fabulous! I'm glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had known you were reading this, it's in my tbr pile, we could have buddy read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh darn! We really should compile lists one day Kim and do a buddy read.

      Delete
  9. This sounds so good, like I could really sink my teeth into it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good one and all her reads are pretty clean, which is really nice as well. ;)

      Delete
  10. That cover looks intriguing and it sounds like a novel that I would love to read.

    Simply Angela

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't heard of this one and I don't think the author either. That cover gives me the creeps! Glad you enjoyed this one - Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! I loved her paranormal, historical mystery combo. I didn't know much about the Spanish Flu until this book. The photos are also a big bonus too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either, at least not about the onions, so interesting! And yes, the photos are always wonderful, so creepy!

      Delete
  13. I should try this. I've only sampled one book of her, Uninvited, I think and didn't like the style much. Maybe this one will fare better because I do love the theme and the mix of genres present

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The style is similar but still different enough I hope it does work for you.

      Delete
  14. Ah, pulling from your backlist I see! I'm glad you liked this one? Have you read The Uninvited? It's perhaps my favorite of Cat Winters. Her short story in the Slasher Girls and Monster Boys anthology was good too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep definitely doing that and yes! I did read it and I really liked it as well. I think I'm all caught up on her current books except for her newest release now. I haven't read her anthology though, I'll check it out too. ;)

      Delete
  15. I saw this book once online years ago but forgot all about it. Sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, especially if you like the genre because it is something different.

      Delete
  16. I seen this one around, just looking at it gives me the creeps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read any of her books but I've wanted to for such a long time now. This one sounds great! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've yet to read anything by Cat Winters. This sounds really great. I might have to check this out. Thanks :-)

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  19. She is such a conundrum for me. I can see her talent clearly, but her story lines are just not something I'm fond of. Which sucks, because she usually writes in an era that I'm a huge fan of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how she wouldn't be for everyone Joy. I do love the eras she writes in though, that is by far the biggest appeal for me.

      Delete
  20. You have me interested. My grandmother's brother died of influenza back in 1918 and he was a soldier. I have never read this author. Very interesting review Ali! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This talks about the soldiers some too so I bet you would like this!

      Delete